PDA

View Full Version : Current Project Template

steve.70285
2004-07-12, 05:36 PM
Can anyone advise on how they keep a current project template?

I 'm always making modifications to the way I want Revit to present drawings. To stay current I’d like to delete all view objects at the end of a project and save it as a template. I think I'd do this for templates between Revit releases only (which means a new release is going to be a big job).

I was hoping the "transfer project standards" would do this but if it doesn't transfer "object styles" what else doesn't it transfer.

I've found not to delete section views since the auto numbering doesn't reset. Does anyone know it there are other project reset issues?

SCShell
2004-07-13, 03:38 PM
Hi there,

What I do (and this may not be "the" way to do it) is after a project is complete, I make a copy first. Then I open that copy and go to a 3d ortho view and zoom out really far just in case I have any "roaming" items. I select all, and delete. I go back and open every view to make sure there is nothing in the file while also deleting certain views. Then I save it as a blank project template. Next job, I open this blank template, rename it and I'm off.

Maybe not the best or most elegant way to do it; however, it works every time!
Hope this helps
Steve Shell

steve.70285
2004-07-13, 05:25 PM
Thanks Steve,

I'm glad I'm not along because that is exactly what I've found works.

Do you find that your files stay clean? I always wondered about system information like auto window & door marks, or are those always random?

ita
2004-07-14, 01:38 AM
Another way is to clean the project file as you have mentioned, then save the file as a template file with "SaveAs" - give it a generic name. Then open open settings go to Options > File Locations and change the "Default Template File" to be the file saved. Then every time you want a new tem[plate file that file opens.

BTW save these files in another file outside the Revit app folder so you do not loose the file during an upgrade. Similarly you can change other folders to the Default Path for the Users and Templates and add to the Library folders.

SCShell
2004-07-14, 02:29 PM
Hi Steve,

Nice to know we're not alone, huh?
I have never had a problem from old files or things like that. It has worked everytime! Simple is as simple does.

I like this method because I am always adding new wall, window and door types, wall and floor tile, lights etc, project by project and this way, they are all in the file ready to be selected. This really helps with renderings! I have tons of materials already set up, ready to go.

Good luck
Steve Shell, Architect