PDA

View Full Version : Void will not cut hosted sweep

Gene Herring
2007-03-14, 04:16 PM
Hi folks, need a little help. Doing some detailed site modeling that requires ADA curb cuts in sidewalks with curb and gutter profile sweep applied to floor host. I have a void family that cuts the floor slab (sidewalk) fine but will not cut the sweep (curb and gutter). Ideas or workaround anyone? Thanks.

I have attached an image sample and sample .rvt file.

dbaldacchino
2007-03-14, 04:41 PM
I think you need to use the Cut Geometry command to select the sweep and then the void. If it doesn't work, please post a small file with those pieces; you can get more help that way :)

jtobin.68416
2007-03-14, 04:58 PM
Gene,

I downloaded your file and tried to get it to work, but couldn't do it. Sorry.

Slab edges are different to wall sweeps, I guess. Wall sweep cuts are governed by where a window intersects the origin of the profile, which helps Revit decide to cut it or not. Also, walls have a 'cut insert' parameter which slab edges do not.

The only way I could get it to cut in your file was an in-place family.

That's as much as I could figure out.

John Tobin

Gene Herring
2007-03-14, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. David, I attached a sample file in the original post. Thanks for your help.

dbaldacchino
2007-03-14, 06:48 PM
Dough! Sorry, trying to do too many things at once, skimming through stuff and missed that.

The void family will ONLY cut the host. The sweep is not a host, and that's why it's not cutting. You have 2 options: Build the gutter by doing an in-place void sweep (make your slab larger, then select the edge as the sweep path and sketch a sweep profile to cut the edge of the sidewalk similar to the sweep profile you're using). The second option is to build an in-place void at each curb cut location and have it cut your sweep. Method #1 is your fastest option.

Gene Herring
2007-03-14, 06:48 PM
Well this is not as "automated" as I had wished but work nevertheless. I created a "curb and gutter void" profile that basically shapes the edge of the slab as a curb and gutter. Then inserted the ADA ramp curb cut where necessary. Will be slightly manual and tedius but I need a high level of detail for this site to render with VRay/Max.

Gene Herring
2007-03-14, 06:54 PM
David, seems like we were thinking exactly along the same line. I essentially created per your first suggestion. Thanks for the feedback.