PDA

View Full Version : Using Groups for repeating core plans....

FWSchreck
2007-03-14, 11:19 PM
Hello:

We're designing a high-rise office building with repetitive cores, so I created a group from the plan geometry: walls, doors, elevators, bathrooms, etc. Revit made the group w/o reporting any errors.

However, when I tried copying this group to other level(s), Revit gives me the following warning: "Highlighted walls overlap. Color fills, room tags and room areas may not behave correctly. Use Cut Geometry to embed one wall within the other."

The trouble is, no walls are overlapping. Wall corners were edited as usual, using the trim command. Why am I getting this warning?

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-03-14, 11:37 PM
Check your wall heights and be sure that all levels have the same floor to floor dimension.

greg.mcdowell
2007-03-14, 11:46 PM
You might also want to make the ends of the walls that intersect the edges not joinable...

FWSchreck
2007-03-15, 12:10 AM
I set the wall heights all to "Unconnected" with heights of 9'-0", and the problem disappeared.

Thanks for the feedback!

sbrown
2007-03-15, 01:29 AM
I prefer to make my walls go full height, then just group the doors and copy them up, its a lot less overhead on highrises. You can clean up building sections with linebased detail components.

However I've done it both ways and there are arguments for doing floor to floor.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-03-15, 04:21 AM
I agree with Scott on this one. If you're on your own, model core walls as continuous elements. If you're working with structural engineers using RS then the floor by floor approach is probablt preferred because it allows copy monitoring of walls.