PDA

View Full Version : Adding a new level

richelleharp
2007-03-15, 02:13 PM
I need to add a second story to a building. I am working on two projects in the first I have created the first story and need to add a second ( above of course). In the second the main level has been created and I will be adding a walkout basement to a hillside home. Thanks so much for the kind assistance.

Calvn_Swing
2007-03-15, 02:33 PM
I have no idea what you're asking for. Are you wanting to know how to add levels in Revit? Are you wanting to get some suggestions for modeling geometry on the second level? Are you asking someone to model it for you - unlikely to happen by the way... Long story short, I can't quite tell what you are wanting, so I can't really help you out...

If you are just asking how to create a new level: Go to the "Basics" tab and switch to an elevation view. Select the "Level" tool and draw in your new level roughly where you want it. You can always adjust the height of the level after placing it if you don't get it spot on. Also, you may want to consider looking at the objects you've already modeled and attaching their tops or bottoms to the new level - this can be done in the element properties dialog usually.

Good luck...

richelleharp
2007-03-15, 02:46 PM
I have no idea what you're asking for. Are you wanting to know how to add levels in Revit? Are you wanting to get some suggestions for modeling geometry on the second level? Are you asking someone to model it for you - unlikely to happen by the way... Long story short, I can't quite tell what you are wanting, so I can't really help you out...

If you are just asking how to create a new level: Go to the "Basics" tab and switch to an elevation view. Select the "Level" tool and draw in your new level roughly where you want it. You can always adjust the height of the level after placing it if you don't get it spot on. Also, you may want to consider looking at the objects you've already modeled and attaching their tops or bottoms to the new level - this can be done in the element properties dialog usually.

Good luck...

Apologies, that was very vague, did sound as though I wanted someone else to model it for me. You actually answered the question I so miserably failed to ask. Thanks.

Calvn_Swing
2007-03-15, 02:51 PM
Glad to help!

Specificity is always good for questions, though I personally tend to write novels regardless of the situation - so I don't have much room to talk. It's easy to be "specific" when you write 3 pages on a simple problem... I need to work on brevity!

richelleharp
2007-03-16, 07:13 PM
My typical approach to design is to begin with the site, which will dictate the building footprint, next I develop a floor plan for the main floor, and work up or down from there. Is it most logical to then edit walls to extend above or below? Would it have been advantageous to have created the necessary walls in advance?
Currently I am designing a residence on a hillside lot with a walkout basement. The walls originally had a 0'-0" offset which I changed in the element properties. I edited some of the walls in elevation views and some in plan. The results seemed to be consistent, though it appears as though there is probably a much more efficient approach. I did know that we would be needing a basement, yet was unsure as to where the staircase would be located etc.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-03-16, 08:35 PM
If you create your levels and associate wall top and bottom to those levels then the walls will 'stretch' to wherever those levels are situated. You don't need to know exactly what the floor to floor height is or exactly where the floor levels are relative to the site grade. Once you set up the walls as associated with levels you can move the levels and their asscoaited elements will adjust to suit.

Revit is all about the relationships between elements whether those elements are walls, doors and roofs or wall top/bottom and levels and grids.

richelleharp
2007-03-16, 09:25 PM
Thanks! I will try to keep this in mind. Though I am not sure I will do it properly the first time through. Revit is really amazing the operator is the one with the problem.