PDA

View Full Version : Rotating a sloped object

ddarling
2007-03-15, 08:17 PM
Problem:

I am modeling a sidewalk which needs to slope away from the building ("y" axis) and follow a sloping grade (8" over 80') ("x" axis) at the same time.

I have used "Defines Slope" to get the "y" axis slope. This is producing the correct result in one direction. To complete the task I need to be able to rotate the object in elevation. When I try to do this I get "Can't change plane of Roof Sketch."

Is there another way to do this?

I am posting a file containing the object.

Dan Darling

Mike Sealander
2007-03-15, 08:35 PM
Can you use a sweep, with the grade accomplished through the sweep path?

ddarling
2007-03-15, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I think of a sweep being attached to something - like a wall or a floor edge. In this case there is no other object to attach the sweep to. Also: can a sweep follow a path (or object) that angles up from its origin point? Wall sweeps can be used horizontally or vertically.

You seem to be describing an extrusion of a profile and perhaps this would work as long as the required object can be the same plan shape throughout it's length or a taper that can be done with a blend. This is not the case (see posted example).

I am probably missing something obvious.

Mike Sealander
2007-03-15, 10:16 PM
Use the solid sweep category of Solid in the Create command on the modeling tab. You can sketch the path in section parallel to the grade change, and sketch the profile in section perpendicular to the grade change.
I didn't take a look at your .rvt file, since I'm on my laptop right now, but I think I know what you're trying to do.