PDA

View Full Version : In-Pace Family In View -was ( Is this a bug or?)

tarch
2004-07-12, 08:20 PM
I have in place families of mechanical ductwork running along the walls. Building section shows them even when they are far behing the cut line.

Alek

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-12, 09:13 PM
Did you check to see where your far clip was set to?

cgrover
2004-07-12, 09:40 PM
I had asked a similar question before and if you do a search for posts by cgrover you'll find a thread about "In-Place Family showing up in View". The short of it was that I had to have separate in place families for each item and then they did not show up in my sections or I should say they appeared as they were supposed to. (Sorry I tried to attach the link to the thread but was unsuccessful)

Hope this helps.
grover

beegee
2004-07-12, 09:50 PM
This the thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=4740&highlight=family)cgrover referred to.

Wes Macaulay
2004-07-12, 09:51 PM
I think the issue here is that you've got a family wherein part of the family crosses the cut plane of the section, so Revit shows the whole thing; sort of like the trick where you used to make a high window show in plan by dropping an invisible line down from the window in the family file. If the plan cut plane hit the line, it would show the window even if the window wasn't really in the view range.

Cgrover's workaround ensures that the only object that shows up in the section is the one which is cut. You might be able to Join Geometry and put the pieces together so that they look the way you want in all views (i.e. to get rid of any visible joints between families).

cgrover
2004-07-12, 10:20 PM
beegee,

How did you attach the thread?

grover

beegee
2004-07-12, 10:25 PM
beegee,

How did you attach the thread?

grover
Copy the thread url and paste it over the words using the " Insert Link " icon on the message toolbar.

tarch
2004-07-12, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=metanoia]I think the issue here is that you've got a family wherein part of the family crosses the cut plane of the section...

It doesn't seem to be my case. Each duct line is a separate family. Anyway, I found the solution by restricting visibility in affected views.

Thanks guys, Alek

Mr Spot
2004-07-13, 01:19 AM
This occurs because of the family category used. Mechanical Equipment families do not cut in section, thus when you cut through them Revit shows the entire element. If you want to show the ducts cut then open the family and change the family category to say Generic model which allows cutting in section. If you want to know what families cut and what don't, in a project go to your visibility properties and look at the categories if the cut column under line types shows greyed out these families will not cut...

Regards,
Chris.

sfaust
2004-07-13, 01:26 AM
...Mechanical Equipment families do not cut in section...If you want to show the ducts cut then open the family and change the family category to say Generic model which allows cutting in section...if the cut column under line types shows greyed out these families will not cut...
Just out of curiosity, why do some families not cut, especially ductwork? It seems like you would want to be able to see where a duct is at any particular cut plane... Not sure I understand the reasoning on this one