PDA

View Full Version : door schedule question

tc3dcad60731
2007-03-16, 04:55 AM
Ok, I want to include in the schedule how the door operates. For example left hand, right hand, right hand outswing on the french door, etc. SO I chose to use the "operation" category on the schedule. All works fine unless I have a 36x84 RH and 36x84 LH. They show correctly in plan and elevation but will both list as the same operation in the schedule. WHAT am I doing WRONG? Normally I just list them with text since it is not that many doors.

NOBODY has a suggestion or comment??? This is the first post I have ever sent here and not had a response. This is amazing!

How do all of you list how your doors operate / open in the schedules????

Firmso
2007-04-19, 11:14 PM
Ok, I want to include in the schedule how the door operates. For example left hand, right hand, right hand outswing on the french door, etc....[/I]

at least "I" don't....Too much risk for error and confusion. I just let the floor plans do the talking. We just normally include locking side for the doors indicated by room #.

tc3dcad60731
2007-04-20, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the response. I normally have plans with just a few doors and they typically are the same. In this case I was looking at about 14 different doors and I wanted to schedule them. The contractor was asking if I could indicate swing in the schedule for the estimator and that is part of why I posted the question.

Again, thanks!

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-20, 05:41 PM
Im not sure what youre really asking... But it seems like you just want doors opening one way to have an RH and doors opening the other having a LH.

First, i would only have one door, two types. Thats what you have, right? Then i would either have a Text parameter, or two yes/no parameters, filled out accordingly.

BUT, id also make sure to REMOVE THE FLIP CONTROLS from that family. If a door starts out as a LH variant, it will report the LH value. if someone hits the flip switch, its STILL the LH variant.

Also, removing the flip controls will not stop an Operator from mirroring the doors. They will mirror, and be the wrong variants. Be mindful of that.

Those items alone are reason enough that i wouldnt do it.

tc3dcad60731
2007-04-21, 12:51 AM
Thanks Aaron -

I do not know why the Text Parameter did not come to mind. I am just trying to get the LH / RH into the schedule other than as a comment. It is a lot of doors and normally,as stated above, I only have a few and just call them out in the plans. The swing is apparent on the plans BUT the contractor was wanting everything scheduled so that it was easier for the estimator. Thanks!

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-21, 01:01 AM
Just make sure they are type parameters... So they stay attached to the proper doors. :)

Firmso
2007-04-21, 02:17 PM
There was only one time I remembered when we had to indicate door swings but that was when after the contractor ordered the doors and the manufacturer requested for the information. They needed to know because the electrical latches that had to be installed were complicated and had special routing and boring templates they had to apply and, they had to be coordinated with the also specialized hinges.
But I agree that indicating door swings on schedules is good practice.

jeff.95551
2007-04-21, 04:05 PM
We've been really stubborn about NOT showing that on schedules, because out here, at least, there doesn't seem to be a really consistent handing system. Apparently commercial doors work the rational way (put your butt to the hinges, and the way it swings is the hand), and residential doors the opposite. Since we've done both, the opportunity for error is just way too high. None of the door shops around here will order the doors without plans or a diagram anyway. My rule of thumb about helping the contractor is this: if it will help him do his job for our client better, we'll try to do it. If it just lets him knock off earlier in the day, forget it.

ford347
2007-04-21, 07:35 PM
We've been really stubborn about NOT showing that on schedules, because out here, at least, there doesn't seem to be a really consistent handing system. Apparently commercial doors work the rational way (put your butt to the hinges, and the way it swings is the hand), and residential doors the opposite. Since we've done both, the opportunity for error is just way too high. None of the door shops around here will order the doors without plans or a diagram anyway. My rule of thumb about helping the contractor is this: if it will help him do his job for our client better, we'll try to do it. If it just lets him knock off earlier in the day, forget it.I absolutely concur with Jeff here. I know that doesn't help you out in your schedule, but like he said, in commercial it's one way, in residential it's another, then from door shop to another door shop it's different. We've actually tried this way back and ended up with a hell of a mess in the project. We just make it a requirement that the door shop themselves look at the plans and go to the job and do it themselves. As far as estimating goes, a door costs the same whether it's a LH or a RH, so I leave it out of the schedule and let the estimator use his head by looking at the plans. I guess if my estimator couldn't make the distinction from a plan representation, he should go work for the door shop!, cause I don't want him estimating my plans!:)

I am curious though how you will work through this as I don't know how you would get it to show in a schedule.

Josh

tc3dcad60731
2007-04-22, 12:12 AM
Thanks everyone for all of the wonderful responses! I will working on the rest of these next week and will see what I can come up with. Don't worry I will be sure they are "type parameters".

Yes, It was the estimators request to his boss the contractor and my initial response was come on it is a 2 story house. You can look at the plan views and see the swing! However, I was trying to be nice and accomodating. I will see how it goes on this job! :roll:

Again, thanks for the help and the warnings! :beer: