PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk Revit 5.5

Arnel Aguel
2003-07-01, 06:40 AM
Just wondering if this will be the next version of Autodesk Revit?
While searching for Revit book at amazon.com I found this one book
written by Lay Christopher Fox "Introducing and Implementing Autodesk Revit 5.5"

Any information guys?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1401850499.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

overcaffeined1745
2003-07-01, 08:14 AM
No idea. However, when somebody posted a link to the Mac OSX screenshots, they were screenshots of 5.5, IIRC. But I've no idea whether the next version will be 5.x or 6.0 (note that 5.5 could be just an internal development version).

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-01, 11:20 AM
I've lost track, has it been six months since the release of 5.0 or 5.1? I think 5.0 came out in December 2002 aligned with Autodesk University (nearly). But I can't recall how quickly 5.1 supplanted 5.0.

now where DID I put those keys??

PeterJ
2003-07-01, 12:15 PM
When I last spoke to UK support - Sarah Capes - they indicated that their would almost certainly not be 5.5, but that we would go straight to 6, but she was cagey, of course, about timing.

BomberAIA
2003-07-01, 01:49 PM
Will there be a Mac version?

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-01, 01:57 PM
Publicly Revit people say no...but naturally they'd keep something like that under wraps.

BomberAIA
2003-07-01, 02:00 PM
Someone told me there will be an Acad version on Mac.

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-01, 02:05 PM
Aah but that birdie has probably succumbed to the "fumes" by now... :D

Arnel Aguel
2003-07-01, 03:19 PM
I have just found out that Cristopher Lay Fox is also a member of this forum maybe we could ask him directly what is the real score of his book.

chris_fox
2003-07-01, 08:19 PM
The image of the proposed Revit book cover that's on Amazon is not correct. I just found out about it yesterday and will let Autodesk Press know--they have said to me that publicity will not mention the release number. So far as I know from sources formal and informal there will not be a release 5.5, that the next release will be 6.0.

Jim Balding and I are co-authoring this upcoming text using 5.1, and are busy editing it now. We'll update the text and images for 6.0 as soon as we can get a copy and then the book will go into production--in time for Autodesk University in December, we all hope. Autodesk is noted for being tight-lipped about unreleased software features and release dates, so we don't really know any more than most folks.

What I would like to ask for from you all and anybody you know who might be willing to share is information about how your company implemented Revit. Success stories, problems, anything that you had to go through in order to start producing design projects efficiently using Revit will be very helpful for readers of this book who will be going through the same transition that everybody now using Revit made.

If you'd like to answer a few questions or fill out a short questionnaire, please let me know at lcfox@archimagecad.com. Thanks--Chris.

Scott D Davis
2003-07-01, 10:24 PM
Chris Fox,

Some more competition for your book, from the ADT 4 NG:

Now that my ADT 2004 book is in the can, I have started on my new Revit
book. Revit is great, but I can do everything that Revit can do in ADT 2004.
I will be comparing routines in my next book between the two programs, the
tips, tricks and work - arounds to equalize each program. After thiat book,
I have a Rhino book comming up. Rhino is big in New York.

Ed Goldberg AIA

hand471037
2003-07-01, 10:49 PM
And I could draw my CD's with Crayon. Just because one can do something with a tool doesn't mean that it's the best way to get the job done. I've always thought that these 'well tool 'x' can do that too' arguments were silly. I can do anything with Linux that I can do with Windows (and then some) but Linux is still hard to use/setup and I can't imagine Linux taking over the home market just because you can watch movies, play games, write letters, and such with it, just like you can with Windows. Or, better yet, I can drive anywhere you can drive with my '68 Dodge- doesn't mean that anyone else would want to drive my Dodge, and put up with the quriks (and gas consumption) of a thirty year old car, or that if I needed to get somewhere that it would be the best way to travel.

mlgatzke
2003-07-02, 01:59 AM
Ed may be experienced at writing a good Autocad book, but I think he'd better team up with a more experienced Revit authority to contribute on any book he writes on Revit. The two applications are just too different.

Arnel Aguel
2003-07-02, 03:11 AM
I totally agree with mlgatzke, I doubt that Ed can make a good comparison of two programs which the other he might have used for more than five years and he has more in depth knowledge of it while the other one he might have just used it for not even a year.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is just my opinion.

Wes Macaulay
2003-07-02, 03:14 PM
And I could draw my CD's with Crayon. Just because one can do something with a tool doesn't mean that it's the best way to get the job done.

LOL! You hit the nail on the head, there, Jeff! It's interesting to hear why someone would want to go hunting squirrels with a blunderbuss. Sure you can kill it, but the you're pulling out BB's all the time at the dinner table.

Wes Macaulay
2003-07-04, 07:09 PM
I work with both programs, supporting and training users on both platforms. If you asked me if I would realistically use ADT 3.3 to do BIM, I would say no. I could do it, but it's pathetically complicated.

ADT2004 is better, but Revit is so much more elegant that my resentment of ADT's working model has hardly abated with the latest version.

Like I've said before around here: going to 3D is no picnic. Some of the people I've trained to use Revit are having struggles learning Revit; I simply can't imagine unleashing ADT on them.