PDA

View Full Version : Existing Phase

boofredlay
2007-03-19, 03:16 PM
Ok so I spent quite a bit of time drawing an existing building in Revit. Now I am going to start the demo plan etc... I did not draw any of the elements in the existing phase but I know now I need them there.(my mistake) Is there a way to change all the elements to existing phase other than one at a time (walls, windows, doors...)?

Thanks for any help.

aaronrumple
2007-03-19, 03:27 PM
Phase created and Phase demolished are properties of all objects and change be changed by selecting multiple objects.

boofredlay
2007-03-19, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the reply Aaron however how do you do this? If I select everyting and then go to the properties, the phase is not even there to change. If I select just the walls, (walls, stacked walls and curtain walls) the phase is greyed out and I cannot change. I have to filter down to just one, say the stacked walls, before I can change the phase.

If there is another way I would love to know.

Thanks again.

patricks
2007-03-19, 03:50 PM
Phase selection might be grayed out on your stacked walls because you're selecting both the stacked wall type and each individual wall type within the stacked wall, as well. I don't think it will let you change the phase of each individual part of the stacked wall, so that's probably why it's grayed out. Same thing goes for curtain wall mullions and panels, you can only change the phase of the curtain wall type itself, not the individual parts.

I personally don't even touch stacked walls anymore, but since you're using them, go ahead and select all instances of your stacked walls, change their phase, then hide them in a 3D view. Then select all your other stuff. Click the Filter Selection button and make sure you don't have any curtain wall mullions or grids or panels selected, but rather only the curtain wall type (if you have any in the project).

Hope this helps. :)

boofredlay
2007-03-19, 04:44 PM
Thanks again guys, I got everything switched over.

Eric

crawfords
2009-12-16, 06:10 PM
Phase selection might be grayed out on your stacked walls because you're selecting both the stacked wall type and each individual wall type within the stacked wall, as well. I don't think it will let you change the phase of each individual part of the stacked wall, so that's probably why it's grayed out. Same thing goes for curtain wall mullions and panels, you can only change the phase of the curtain wall type itself, not the individual parts.

I personally don't even touch stacked walls anymore, but since you're using them, go ahead and select all instances of your stacked walls, change their phase, then hide them in a 3D view. Then select all your other stuff. Click the Filter Selection button and make sure you don't have any curtain wall mullions or grids or panels selected, but rather only the curtain wall type (if you have any in the project).

Hope this helps. :)

Would you care to expand on this a little? I'm having the same problem, but all of the walls involved are not stacked. If I select a large number of walls with a selection box, the phase portion of the Element Properties box is not just grayed out, it's not there (screen shot attached). This happens even if I use the Select All Instances to select walls of one type. Individually, their phases can be changes; collectively, no dice. I'd hate to have to select and change each wall individually, but that's looking like the only option. Please tell me I'm wrong...

-Crawford

bregnier
2009-12-16, 07:34 PM
If the file is workshared you have to make all of the elements editable first. You should be able to do this by right clicking after selection.

Also, curtain wall mullions and panels and beams in beam systems have their phase automatically set by their host object - if they are part of the selection set you won't be able to change the phase of the selection as a whole. filter out these objects, and select only the host object.

These rules apply to changing worksets as well, i believe.

patricks
2009-12-16, 08:06 PM
Would you care to expand on this a little? I'm having the same problem, but all of the walls involved are not stacked. If I select a large number of walls with a selection box, the phase portion of the Element Properties box is not just grayed out, it's not there (screen shot attached). This happens even if I use the Select All Instances to select walls of one type. Individually, their phases can be changes; collectively, no dice. I'd hate to have to select and change each wall individually, but that's looking like the only option. Please tell me I'm wrong...

-Crawford

If you have something demolished like a window, such that a piece of the host wall is put back in its place, you cannot change that piece's phase parameters. Similar situation if you insert something in an existing wall on a later phase, you'll have a piece showing in the existing phase that is slated for demolition. Those types of things can cause problems, especially since they get selected if you Select All Instances, or window-select and filter, because they don't have the same properties as regular wall instances.

Munkholm
2009-12-16, 08:18 PM
Why all the fuss over changing phases ? Did the same mistake myself, a few times, but instead of moving all elements to "Existing", I found it easier to delete the "existing" phase, and rename the "new construction" to "existing" and then create a new phase after "existing" called, guess what, "New construction" :beer:

crawfords
2009-12-16, 11:52 PM
If you have something demolished like a window, such that a piece of the host wall is put back in its place, you cannot change that piece's phase parameters. Similar situation if you insert something in an existing wall on a later phase, you'll have a piece showing in the existing phase that is slated for demolition. Those types of things can cause problems, especially since they get selected if you Select All Instances, or window-select and filter, because they don't have the same properties as regular wall instances.

Okay, that explains it - the existing walls were (over)modeled with all sorts of hosted geegaws. Looks like I'm just going to have to brute force this one. Thanks anyway.

-Crawford