PDA

View Full Version : Revit to ADT?

wse1
2007-03-19, 08:45 PM
I would appreciate anyone's experience in exporting Revit files to ADT. Does a Revit 3-D model translate very well (if at all) into a ADT 3-D model or do the objects get reduced to simple 2-D lines? I have a client that wants to hire me on a project, but requires the final to be ADT format that they can work with.

Thanks for your insights!

Justin Marchiel
2007-03-19, 08:58 PM
if you export a revit drawing, it will export in the view type that you created. So if you have a plan it will make a 2d plan. if you have a 3d view, it will make a 3d acad file.

The problem is that you can't create aec content, so by exporting to acad you can't make adt walls, doors, etc. You will get 3d mass and faces. you can use them in adt, but they are not adt pieces and dont react the same way.

So it really depends on what they want to use. you can give them 2d acad dwgs, or a 3d model that they can render if, but if they want a 3d model to use in the future it doesn't work that way.

Justin

jeffh
2007-03-20, 03:25 PM
With AutoCAD Architecture 2008 you can import an IFC file generated by Revit. Walls, Windows, Doors, etc... Come through and AEC objects are created in the resulting DWG files.

Justin Marchiel
2007-03-20, 03:33 PM
hey that is a pretty cool new option. would have been a good option when we still used adt!

Justin

hand471037
2007-03-20, 03:42 PM
With AutoCAD Architecture 2008 you can import an IFC file generated by Revit. Walls, Windows, Doors, etc... Come through and AEC objects are created in the resulting DWG files.

Good to hear that you guys got that working! When I was at Gensler we tested IFC with Revit 9.1 & ADT 2007 and didn't have a lot of luck.

What about the other way? Has there been work done with AA2008 to make decent IFC files that work within Revit? When we tried that it did make elements in Revit of the proper category, but there were some problems and errors...

Anyways, good to hear that IFC is going to be a usable vehicle to move BIM info from system to system after all.

jeffh
2007-03-20, 03:58 PM
What about the other way? Has there been work done with AA2008 to make decent IFC files that work within Revit? When we tried that it did make elements in Revit of the proper category, but there were some problems and errors....

It is not quite as seemless as you would probably like it to be. The process however is improving.