PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Selected Floors

ejburrell67787
2004-07-13, 11:10 AM
Hello, I need some assistance please...

I want to do a setting out plan that shows only the ground floor slab, the gridlines and dimensions. I have constructed my ground floor out of 2 floors - 1 for the concrete slab and another for the screed. I also have used floors to model a perimeter strip of paving slabs.

I used the Hide/Isolate (sunglasses) function to turn off the floor elements I don't want to see (ie screed + paving slabs) ... but they still seem to print out...

Is there a way to turn individual elements as opposed to turning off the whole floor category?

Thanks, Elrond

PS I was going to attached a wanted/unwanted image but when I export to JPG it has the same problem - ie the other floors also show up! :screwy:

aaronrumple
2004-07-13, 12:59 PM
Worksets....

sbrown
2004-07-13, 01:23 PM
The hide isolate is only for ease of selection, not actually view properties. What you will need to do is activate worksets and place the items you want control of on an individual workset, this will allow you to show only the worksets you want. For example a typ. scenario would be a workset for

1. structure (what you are looking for currently)
2. exterior shell
3. Interiors.
4. Site(off by default)
5. Rendering/Entourage(off by default)
6. Dwg imports(off by default)

you will likely modify or add to these as needed for each project but this should be a good starting point. If you havent used worksets, you should do the training first as they add a level of complexity.

steve.70285
2004-07-13, 01:25 PM
Aaron, I haven't enabled worksets so I'd don't know what I'm missing.

I have had the same type of issue in showing foundation walls with no other walls visible. To seperate them from my upper level walls I use a foundation phase.

ejburrell67787
2004-07-13, 01:49 PM
Well thank you very much... worksets I might have a look into sometime but for now Phases saved the day!

So thank you very much Steve 70285!

Elrond :-)

gregcashen
2004-07-13, 04:01 PM
I have long called for the addition of Sub-categories within system families to handle this issue more directly. Worksets are a multi-user tool and CAN be solve many problems, but I think that the inclusion of sub-categories to system families is a more elegant approach. Using this method, you can dictate that one floor is a stuctural floor and appears in structural views and that other floors may just be finish floors and do not appear. This way you can more granularly alter views to display just what you want to see. In your case, you could just make the subcategories "Visible" "Not Visible" or even give them view names so you would be able to filter certain floor types out in the visibility dialog...

...still waiting...

steve.70285
2004-07-13, 05:29 PM
AMEN, to that...

aggockel50321
2004-07-13, 05:59 PM
As usual with Revit, there is another method, among others (i.e. design options, although non-intuitive could be used).

Try this:

Model the other elements (pavers & screed) as in-place families.

Before starting go to settings/object styles, scroll down to & expand the floors category. Add new subcategories screed & pavers.

Start an in place family called, say screed, and model the solid screed objects. Be sure to go to the modeled object's properties, and set it's subcategory to "screed". Close the family.

Do the same as above for the pavers.

Now go to view/visibility, scroll down to floors, & you'll see your new subcategories screed & pavers that can now be toggled off & on in any view.

Phil Palmer
2004-07-13, 06:57 PM
I have asked for the concept of Architecture Finish Floor and Structural Floors as 2 seperate catagories also.
The idea of in-place families is just another 'workaround'.

To sperate floors at the moment we have to rely on Worksets also.

I deffinatley agree we need more control on sub-catagories under system families.

aaronrumple
2004-07-13, 07:44 PM
...before the guys at Revit go nuts with sub-categories and we end up right back where we started with layers - We should get together and decide what needs to be in the BIM.

Doors for instance need more system categories for better standardization, such as hardware.

Walls need base trim, cornice trim, etc.

bclarch
2004-07-13, 09:32 PM
I support Elrond's original wish for a simpler way to switch off collections of unrelated items. I'll put in another plug for my related wishlist item. This doesn't address the printing issue but that could be included as an option. Click here. (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=945)

ejburrell67787
2004-07-14, 02:21 PM
I totally agree that Revit shouldn't go down the track of too many subcatagories and end up with Layers all over again!!

Maybe Phases could be modified to be non-chronological? At the moment we can add phases as we choose but they are chronological phases. This is obviously very useful and relates to actual construction... And maybe if we had more choice about displaying phases it would be more flexible? Then for illustrative purposes we could display any collection of phases not necessary in chronological order.

This is perhaps something fairly fundamental with any BIM software - the cross-over between designing / modelling and communicating illustrative-only information...

(...cyber construction need not be bound by linear time constraints surely...! :twisted: )

Elrond