PDA

View Full Version : Field: Adding the dimension angle into a linear dimension

alan.rackham
2007-03-23, 07:09 AM
Hello

Can anyone help?

I would like to add the angle of a dimension in the text box of the same dimension, but I am unable to select the current dimension text box to get the angle field code. Autocad tell me that I can't select that object with the following message being displayed "The selected entity cannot be accessed"

Thanks,
Alan

jaberwok
2007-03-23, 01:23 PM
Hi Alan.
Would you explain further your sequence of actions.

Cadtharsis
2007-03-23, 07:50 PM
Uh... maybe I'm missing something, but can't you just create an angular dimension? If it really has to be in the same piece of text... well, I'm in 2005, but when I double click on dimension text, it opens up the properties box, and there is an option on it called "text override" in which you could retype the dimension and add the angle.

Does that help at all?

alan.rackham
2007-03-26, 06:25 AM
Thanks for your comments jaberwok and tburns. What tburns has said about text overriding a linear dimension is exactly what I am doing. I was hoping to put the angle value is so that it updates like the linear dimension does. The reason for this is because I am producing a property survey drawing which have a aligned dimension over the angle of the line. See example below.

<-----------12345--------->
325d16'45"

Alan

jpaulsen
2007-03-26, 03:33 PM
Instead of using a dimension why not just make the field reference the line?

This should work unless it is important to show the dimension line. Most surveys I have seen do not use dimensions on lines they just show a bearing and distance.

Mlabell
2007-03-26, 04:07 PM
Instead of using a dimension why not just make the field reference the line?

This should work unless it is important to show the dimension line. Most surveys I have seen do not use dimensions on lines they just show a bearing and distance.To further back up jpaulsen... Look at the attached block. We have a program which does something that is similar to this (bearing and distance)but I created a drawing to illustrate how using text instead of a dimension you can achieve the correct annotations required for property surveys...

alan.rackham
2007-03-27, 07:02 AM
Thanks to Jeff Paulsen and marklabell for your solution. This is much better than using a dimension. Does anyone have a bit of code that does this automatically. Sorry if I am pushing the friendship here I will accept NO.

Thanks
Alan

Mlabell
2007-03-27, 01:11 PM
Thanks to Jeff Paulsen and marklabell for your solution. This is much better than using a dimension. Does anyone have a bit of code that does this automatically. Sorry if I am pushing the friendship here I will accept NO.

Thanks
AlanHopefully you are using acad 2006 or above, here is a block, give 'er a whirl.

Make sure to insert the block at the midpoint of the line, and then use the stretch parameter to stretch the grip to the endpoint of the line. Hopefully this works. The only problem with the block is to get answers of bearing and distance in the opposite direction the text will read upside down.

Chris.N
2007-03-31, 09:41 PM
Hopefully you are using acad 2006 or above, here is a block, give 'er a whirl.

Make sure to insert the block at the midpoint of the line, and then use the stretch parameter to stretch the grip to the endpoint of the line. Hopefully this works. The only problem with the block is to get answers of bearing and distance in the opposite direction the text will read upside down.you could always add a rotate parameter to the text and limit it to 180 deg increments... and then, when you're done doing that, post it in the sharing thread! ;)

Mlabell
2007-04-02, 12:48 PM
you could always add a rotate parameter to the text and limit it to 180 deg increments... and then, when you're done doing that, post it in the sharing thread! ;)Consider it done, the updated version of the block is here (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=680782#post680782)...8)