PDA

View Full Version : Wall Graphics Tweaking?

jtl
2007-03-23, 04:36 PM
I have a cavity wall that intersects with a steel column. I would like to represent the wall with a bold outline at the perimeter and have the "inside" of the wall (& furring) display with a thin line. I am able to use the linework tool to paint the furring around the column but cannot paint the piece of the cavity wall because it will paint the entire length. Is there an alternative? is there a way to have the geometry cut out without having to split the wall and actually use a similar wall type (without interior GWB)?

Any help is appreciated.

greg.mcdowell
2007-03-23, 08:17 PM
Only two ways... one is to, as you suggested, split the wall and assign a new type without the gyp (heck, just splitting the wall should be good enough)... two is to change the entire line as you tried and then add additional lines on top of them for the thicker lines on either side (be sure to lock them in place)

So, since neither solution is all that great, maybe it's not really worth it...

jamie.casile80054
2007-03-23, 08:59 PM
not sure if this is missing the point, but how about just adding detail lines?

aloha,

jamie

patricks
2007-03-23, 09:37 PM
If you have this condition many times it will get tedious, but if you click once on that thick line on your exterior wall, such that the line goes thin along the whole length of the wall, you will see blue grips at each end of the overridden line. Then you can pull those in so that only a small portion of that line is overridden with the thin line weight.

Hopefully you don't have to do that too many places. If not then it's a pretty simple solution.

*edit* another thing you can do is use the Edit Cut Profile tool. I just discovered this awhile back and have since used it ALOT in my sections and details. It's view-specific only, so it doesn't actually happen in the model, but you can use that tool to make it appear that you have "cut" the gypsum board layer out of the wall on just that small portion of the wall.

aaronrumple
2007-03-23, 09:50 PM
I have a cavity wall that intersects with a steel column. I would like to represent the wall with a bold outline at the perimeter and have the "inside" of the wall (& furring) display with a thin line. I am able to use the linework tool to paint the furring around the column but cannot paint the piece of the cavity wall because it will paint the entire length. Is there an alternative? is there a way to have the geometry cut out without having to split the wall and actually use a similar wall type (without interior GWB)?

Any help is appreciated.The fastest way to do this is to place an architectural column for the pilaster. The column and wall will join and the gyp. will wrap around the column. For the linework you are having trouble with - add symbolic linework to the architectural column family.

jtl
2007-03-27, 06:39 PM
Excellent.

It looks like the edit cut profile and the architectural pilaster/column will do what I am looking for. I will get into it shortly and hopefully I haven't missed anything.

Thanks guys.

Jeff

ford347
2007-05-05, 02:47 AM
IS THERE A WAY TO CONTROL THE LINE WEIGHT OF THE EDIT CUT PROFILE? I USE THIS ALL THE TIME, BUT I RECENTLY CHANGED MY PROJECTION WEIGHT FOR MY WALLS AND WHEN I USE THE TOOL ON THE DIFF. LAYERS, IT IS AT A MUCH THICKER LINE WEIGHT THAN MY BOUNDARY EDGES TO EACH LAYER AND YOU CAN'T USE THE LINE TOOL TO COVER IT UP....

JOSH