PDA

View Full Version : wall joins

paul.meco
2007-03-23, 06:13 PM
Hi all,

I am new to Revit, with years of experience in AutoCAD. I am having difficulty with the automated wall joins in Revit. I seem to have a problem of not being able to control the geometry the way I want to. For instance I have a wall segment bookended by two other segments that are wider in width. I want the two to join together seamlessly, and I have attempted to make the wall in the middle terminate at the endpoints of the other two wall segments, but every time I try this, it automatically takes the end of the middle wall to 6" beyond the end points of the other two wall segments. There are walls above as well, and it appears, that the thin middle segment of wall is joining to the centerline of the walls above which run perpendicularly. I am not sure why this is the case, and I do not know how to set this condition up in the first place. Is there anyone out there that can help direct me to a thorough explanation of control of wall geometry, specifically anyone who thinks they know the answer to this situation? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

danbwall
2007-03-23, 06:29 PM
Not sure quite how new you are to Revit, so hopefully this doesn't seem like a dumb response to you. Have you tried the 'Edit Wall Join' tool? This lets you cycle thru different options for joining the walls. If that doesn't work, sometimes just pulling the walls back with their 'grip' and rejoining does the trick. Also if there are walls above, make sure that these walls are not overlapping in height...

Hope this helps.

Mike Sealander
2007-03-23, 06:32 PM
Can you post some .jpg's?

dfriesen
2007-03-23, 06:37 PM
Two things you can use to edit wall joins:
1. Edit Wall Joins (on the toolbar, or under the Tools pulldown)
Select that tool, then point to the wall join that you want to edit. You'll see a square around that joint. Click, then look at the Option bar, and click on Next til it looks right. If that doesn't work, try:
2. Dissallow Join
Select your wall, and then right-click on the grip (blue dot) at the endpoint, then click on 'Dissallow Join'. Now you'll be able to pull that endpoint to where you want.

jamie.casile80054
2007-03-23, 07:59 PM
One more thing to note with wall geometry, the structure possess a function order. so the structure [1] 's will join with the highest priority. then the Sustrate [2], etc.

hope this helps,
jamie

paul.meco
2007-03-24, 11:05 PM
Thanks all for good suggestions. I have "solved" my problem well enough with the disallow join function. I have an extra line, but it is better then incorrect geometry. Thanks

SkiSouth
2007-03-25, 11:51 AM
Paul, welcome to rRevit and the forum. The extra line at the disallow join condtion you are speaking of, is it in elevation or plan that you are discussing?

Melarch
2007-03-25, 12:09 PM
To get rid fo the extra lines where wall abutt with the disjoin conditio, use the Linework tool button and the invisible line type to make these connection lines disappear.

Mel Persin, AIA