PDA

View Full Version : Hatchkit .PAT file "too big" ...?

twiceroadsfool
2007-03-26, 01:57 PM
So i DL'ed the free version of Hatchkit, needing to make some specific tile patterns to lay over a floor in our Revit model for a client. I made the pattern, set it to a Revit Drafting pattern (or model pattern, doesnt work either way...) and i save it. Then i go to import it in to Revit, and it says "Pattern too big."

What gives? Its not even a very complex pattern file. Anyone else experience this? Can someone try the attached pattern file and see if they have trouble as well?

Thanks in advance...

Martin P
2007-03-26, 02:48 PM
If you import it and pick 0.1 as the import scale it works....

You have it set as a drafting pattern, and it is pretty big as a drafting pattern. Though I dont see why there should be any restriction on size there does appear to be one...

Is hatchkit any good?... How much did you pay for it, how long did it take to make that pattern?

Ta :) Martin.

twiceroadsfool
2007-03-26, 03:00 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, im an idiot. I set it to model pattern and it worked great, aside from the obvious deficiencies of the demo version.

We just purcahsed it after a 10 minute trial, becuase we want the pattern capabilities for our client to see his tile patterns in his building.

That pattern took about ten minutes to make, and thats because i insisted on figuring it out instead of reading the directions, because im impatient, lol. It takes line inputs just like Acad, in the @length<angle format. Then you move a couple of points around to define repetitions, and hit save.

The import to Revit is pretty seamless too, thus far. Im sure getting in to more complex iterations ill find its shortcomings, but for now its mission accomplished.

Price was 95 bucks, downloaded and licensed...

Im sure its silly if you have the capacity and time to write the txt files. While im sure i can learn it, i can see myself getting very very frustrated chasing lines of txt around to make a pattern repeat properly. 95 bucks seems easily worth its weight, imho...

hugh.69031
2007-03-27, 12:17 AM
Revit mentions pattern size and complexity in comments at the start of the standard revit.pat text file:

"...Revit may consider a pattern to be too large or too dense. If it does,
modify the import scale or the pattern definition".

Experimenting with MODEL patterns showed an upper limit on any hatch pattern line's repeat length (the sum of the dash and space lengths defined for that line) to be of the order of 20 metres or 70 feet along that line's direction.

HatchKit now replaces any line in Revit output MODEL hatches having a repeat length above that limit with lines alternately following the two closest alignments with repeat lengths below that limit.

This allows larger MODEL patterns to be created and loaded to Revit at 1:1 scale than would otherwise be the case.

Hugh Adamson
Cadro Pty Ltd
www.cadro.com.au/hatchkit/ (http://www.cadro.com.au/hatchkit/)

twiceroadsfool
2007-03-27, 02:05 AM
Thanks Hugh... I got it to work earlier. Great tool, worked like a charm. :)

Anthony.d
2007-03-27, 09:42 PM
Great tool highly recommended !

rdaniel
2007-08-30, 04:31 PM
I have a hatch pat that I am trying to import, but I'm getting the same notification of "hatch size too big." I can get it to come in when I set the import scale low enough, but that makes the pattern too small visually. I need it bigger. I've tried it both as a model and as a drafting. Any ideas - see attached file.

hugh.69031
2007-08-31, 01:47 AM
The original Stone.pat you posted could be imported to Revit as a MODEL INCH pattern scaled up to a bit over 4.72 magnification. If that is not enough then you can use HatchKit (http://www.cadro.com.au/hatchkit) to increase the pattern scale externally before importing to Revit as shown attached.

Hugh Adamson
Cadro Pty Ltd

sonya
2007-08-31, 01:47 AM
Defining patterns in revit is incredibly old fashioned.

Coming from microstation, you can define a pattern with pretty much anything you can put into a cell (i.e. block) - & draw it the same as you would draw any other line/object, put it into the cell library, & apply it as a pattern - works for most elements and is incredibly easy to use & edit. If i want to pattern an area with 3d toilets at 1m x 1m spacing I can do it. Linework in simple directional hatching & cross hatching can have 'on the fly' changes to line styles, weight & colour.

I can't understand why patterns in revit aren't a family that you can go into, edit & reload into the project. Defining dots and dashes in a text file, let along "crazy" brick patterning is a lot of hard work. Drawing it graphically is a snap.

rdaniel
2007-08-31, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Kind of retarded that hatch patterns have a size cap, and I have to go to a 3rd party software to make it work. Maybe we'll see Autodesk develop Revit like I've seen them develop CAD over the years - wait for 3rd party software and add-ons to solve problems and then just rip them off. Or maybe they'll change their ways and be a responsive software company, and, dare I say it, innovative.

Maybe I'm just grumpy today......:x

davidcobi
2008-11-11, 07:16 PM
Experimenting with MODEL patterns showed an upper limit on any hatch pattern line's repeat length (the sum of the dash and space lengths defined for that line) to be of the order of 20 metres or 70 feet along that line's direction.

HatchKit now replaces any line in Revit output MODEL hatches having a repeat length above that limit with lines alternately following the two closest alignments with repeat lengths below that limit.

This allows larger MODEL patterns to be created and loaded to Revit at 1:1 scale than would otherwise be the case.
Please clarify.

We have two similar pat files. One works while the other does not. The x & y axis are 4 units in HatchKit. We are trying to import into Revit at a scale of 12 which would make the model pattern 4 ft. Any scale over 11.4 results in the "pattern is too big" error. Please advise. Thanks.

Richard at AA
2008-11-11, 08:47 PM
I think Hatch Manager 2009 from GlobalCAD works pretty well for making hatches. Just draw what you want in AutoCAD and it will convert it into a PAT file for import into Revit. I've only been playing with it for a couple days, but like I said, it's as easy as drawing the pattern in AutoCAD and clicking the Create button.

davidcobi
2008-11-12, 12:12 AM
See attached. Pattern file contains two similar patterns. Thanks.

truevis
2008-11-12, 01:33 AM
I think Hatchkit is great.

My problem: I have a .PAT that looks great with Thin Lines on but turns to a solid color without Thin Lines on. It is a Model pattern. It doesn't change even when zoomed way in. Anyone know how to remedy that?

rdaniel
2008-11-12, 02:57 AM
Wouldn't this be controlled through the line weight of the surface pattern for that particular element's category?

If you have trouble, could be on one of 3 levels: Object Styles (per the project) ----> Visibility Graphics (per the view) ----> Override Graphics by Element (per the view)

hugh.69031
2008-11-12, 12:14 PM
Please clarify.

We have two similar pat files. One works while the other does not. The x & y axis are 4 units in HatchKit. We are trying to import into Revit at a scale of 12 which would make the model pattern 4 ft. Any scale over 11.4 results in the "pattern is too big" error. Please advise. Thanks.

Looking at the two posted pattern definition files shows:

The second pattern having diagonals specified at exactly 45 or 135 degrees such as:
45,2.0007,1.5981,2.83118926061,2.83118926061,0.569,-5.09337852122
This has a repeat distance of 0.569 + 5.09337852122 ~= 5.66237852
Scaling by 12: 12 x 5.66237852 ~= 67.95 which is acceptable to Revit

The first pattern has some diagonals that are not at exactly 45/135 degrees, for example:
46.5372743728,3.6341,0,99.0428740251,0.15284716094,0.5274,-104.170761238
This has a repeat distance of 0.5274 + 104.170761238 ~= 104.698161
Scaling by 12: 12 x 104.698161 ~= 1256 which Revit will not accept - it's too big

Further details are provided here: http://www.hatchkit.com.au/faq.php

I notice the two patterns were produced by a HatchKit version lacking the Revit pattern generation techniques introduced in Version 2.6 which will adjust pattern lines with large repeat distances so they fall within the limits Revit places on pattern definition when imported at 1:1 scale following rescaling within HatchKit.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Hugh Adamson
www.cadro.com.au (http://www.cadro.com.au)
hatchkithelp@cadro.com.au (hatchkithelp@cadro.com.au)

davidcobi
2008-11-12, 05:42 PM
I notice the two patterns were produced by a HatchKit version lacking the Revit pattern generation techniques introduced in Version 2.6 which will adjust pattern lines with large repeat distances so they fall within the limits Revit places on pattern definition when imported at 1:1 scale following rescaling within HatchKit.[/SIZE]

I've upgraded our license to Hatchkit 2.7 and tried resaving the pattern file but still no luck. You mentioned version 2.6 will adjust pattern lines when imported at 1:1 scale following rescaling within Hatchkit. When rescaling should I multiply times 12? Thanks for your input.

hugh.69031
2008-11-12, 09:54 PM
David,

Use HatchKit to rescale each pattern by 12, save the results as Revit Inch Model then import them to Revit at 1:1 scale.

The attached screenshots show the Hatchkit Scaling control to use and the Revit Model Pattern following import of your two patterns at 1:1 once scaled up by 12 within HatchKit.

Hugh Adamson
hatchkithelp@cadro.com.au (hatchkithelp@cadro.com.au)

davidcobi
2008-11-12, 11:06 PM
That did it. Thanks for your patience. This has always been a small annoyance for us in the past and we've always managed to work around it. Nice to finally know the two solutions.

hugh.69031
2008-11-13, 02:16 AM
No worries.

We're happy to help when we can. If you're in a hurry (aren't we all) email enquiries to hatchkithelp@cadro.com.au (hatchkithelp@cadro.com.au)

Hugh Adamson
www.hatchkit.com.au (http://www.hatchkit.com.au)

hugh.69031
2013-11-21, 08:33 AM
We have recently published a free HatchKit Add-In for Revit on the Autodesk Exchange:
http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3ahatchkitadd-in%3aen

Patterns imported by this add-in saved in AutoCAD format by HatchKit 2.7 avoid the upper scale limit Revit imposes on patterns imported via Revit's pattern import wizard. Much larger patterns are now possible without using the zigzagging technique HatchKit 2.7 employs in its Revit file formats when necessary to avoid the scaling limit.

Hugh Adamson
www.hatchkit.com.au