PDA

View Full Version : Roof Bearing edge

ryan.87191
2007-03-26, 07:07 PM
How do I get a typical stick framed sloped roof to bear on the inside edge of the core face? In which case the rafters would be notched (or birds mouthed) over the top plate. I'm having a hell of a time for some reason.

Thanks in advance.

tc3dcad60731
2007-03-27, 04:43 AM
All you would need to do is to set the elevation offset from the top of the wall so that your cut would end up correctly over the wall. It will not show except on the bldg section view that you depict this on. Further you can insert the detail component for what would be your top plates, etc to make it all show properly.

Hope this helps!

ryan.87191
2007-04-09, 08:03 PM
Thanks tc3,

That's what we've had to do. It seems like there should be a setting that allows you to choose the "Core Face Interior" as "bearing edge" or "spring point" of structural core of the roof family.

Thanks again,
Ryan

muttlieb
2007-04-09, 08:28 PM
If you create the roof by picking walls, the Rafter or Truss parameter is available. This parameter determines where the plate offset from base is measured from. If you choose rafter it is measured from the inside face of the wall - giving you the notched, or birdsmouth rafter cut; while truss is measured from the outside face of wall.

Calvn_Swing
2007-04-09, 08:39 PM
The only problem is that if you hard code things like that into Revit, then it limits your options for other possibilities. To actually program each unique structural condition into a dialog for roofs would be quite difficult, time consuming, and overbearing on the user. (I think). If all Revit was targeted for was one construction type (i.e. stick framing) then it would make sense. But since it isn't, it's hard to justify trying to program something like that into Revit when there are so many other things that it desperately needs.

Between tying geometry to levels and using the offset parameters, you should be able to achieve the same functionality and still have the option to do anything else you want at other conditions...

My two cents.

EDIT: Is worth precisely nothing in this market! It would appear they have programed this into Revit already. I've just never used it because we rarely have this condition. Also, we rarely pick walls for our roofs as this causes us more trouble than its worth. You learn something new every day...

tc3dcad60731
2007-04-10, 12:44 AM
If you create the roof by picking walls, the Rafter or Truss parameter is available. This parameter determines where the plate offset from base is measured from. If you choose rafter it is measured from the inside face of the wall - giving you the notched, or birdsmouth rafter cut; while truss is measured from the outside face of wall.

Yes, you could do this but then you sometimes run into problems with editing the model later. I am working on a model right now that keeps coming up with "circular chain of references" errors. This is enough to drive you crazy!

ryan.87191
2007-04-10, 03:16 PM

Thanks Mutt' It looks like this works ok. The only thing is it's not nothing the rafter. But I think we can work with this.

Calvn and tc, I'll keep in mind your concerns. I'll try to give an update if we have any problems. It's a little guest house so it's not crazy complicated or anything. So I don't expect anything major.

muttlieb
2007-04-10, 03:24 PM
The only thing is it's not nothing the rafter. But I think we can work with this.
I assume you meant its not notching the rafter? Right, unfortunately it won't automatically notch the rafter. But you can use the edit cut profile tool to create the notch so it displays properly in section.

patricks
2007-04-10, 09:19 PM
If you can't get it in the right place automatically, you can always just drag the roof up or down until it's in the right place. The offset dimension in the properties may list some arbitrary amount, but it's no big deal. I've had to deal with this many times when someone else created a roof quickly without really paying attention, and it would be too much trouble to try to go back and re-create the roof correctly. In those cases I just move the roof to where it's supposed to be and don't pay attention to the offset value.