PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling model lines

inouizi
2007-03-27, 03:16 PM
Hello Everybody,
Is there a way to schedule the length of model lines in a project?
If I create a new line style and call it reveal for example, is there a way for me to find out the total length of the reveals in my building?
Thanks.
IN.

bowlingbrad
2007-03-27, 03:30 PM
I think the only way is to create a line based component and give it a generic model category. Then you can schedule all of the lengths.

chris.macko125036
2007-03-27, 03:46 PM
line based family is the way to go, we use them that way for travel distances.

Chirag Mistry
2007-03-27, 05:11 PM
Here's the example of a line based family used to create travel distances
http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2007/01/egress-path.html

inouizi
2007-03-27, 05:36 PM
Thanks everybody for answering, I will try each method and see what I make out of it, am not really that experienced with Revit so it will still be a challenge for me.
As for the exit path method, I only have one problem with it, the lines I need to schedule need to show in 3D as reveals (am not using profiles to add reveals to my model), so I read that the lines are symbolic lines, can this method be applied to a 3D model?
Thanks.
IN.

chris.macko125036
2007-03-27, 06:01 PM
are you saying you're drawing reveals without using profiles? How are you drawing them currently?
Line based families can be 2d or 3d, so you could easily make a profile(void extrusion) for your reveal and set it's length the family line. This is probably a good way to get into family creation too since it is a relatively simple family.

Something else I just thought of, if you're reveals are all the full length of the walls they're on, you could use a wall schedule for that particular type to give you lengths since the length of the wall will equal the length of the reveal.

inouizi
2007-03-27, 06:06 PM
I am not using profiles for my reveals because my reveals are "V" shaped and they don't show properly when they intersect an opening in a wall. So I decided to keep it simple and just draw the reveals in the 3D view using model lines, the issue now is how do I schedule the total length of the lines used as reveals.
I read about the line based families and I tried creating one but there is no template for it.
Thanks.
IN.

chris.macko125036
2007-03-27, 06:44 PM
Well I just played with it a little and it looks like line based families can't be hosted by walls, at least not for reveals, but there should be templates in the imperial library folder for version 9 and up I believe. You can still use a wall based family with some shared parameters, and that isn't too hard either, but is still a bit trickier than scheduling line-based families.

So there is no way to get the total length from the wall length through some formula? that way you could schedule them and still keep them drawn the same.