PDA

View Full Version : Phantom group wont let me move my building

nblevins
2007-03-28, 03:07 PM
entering CD phase, i'm trying to move a fairly developed 2 story building model on its site with little luck. it needs to be moved 5' at an angle, but it only wants to move in one orthagonal direction.

i first planned on just moving it over, then down, but it won't make the second step.

next i tried grouping the whole thing to copy down the rest of the way and delete the first one, but once everything is chosen (deselecting view specific elements, curtain wall elements, GROUPS, etc.) and i try to make the group i get this error:

"Can't make change to Group "Group 8" with more than one instance. To resolve: Ungroup and Group again under a new name. Edit and make change, then change all instances of the original Group to the new Group."

i don't know what it means or how to locate the supposed group.. i've looked, and there's not group 8 in the project browser. maybe the group i'm making is group 8?

anyway, any suggestions or alternatives to what i'm trying would be much appreciated.

aggockel50321
2007-03-28, 07:39 PM
Try creating the site as a separate project, and then link your building project to it.

You can move and rotate it all over the place, then...

aaronrumple
2007-03-28, 07:43 PM
Move the site - not the building. Then adjust true north.

nblevins
2007-03-28, 08:15 PM
i started trying to do that as well, but there is an existing building and attached new wing that also have to move with it. after selecting all of that, i still get a laundry list of errors and parts that will be deleted. this is a sort of campus that was initially one building but is now divided up, so it would probably be much more manageable as linked files. at this point it seems like a monumental task though.

i haven't tried linking the site only yet, so maybe that will help.

twiceroadsfool
2007-03-28, 08:24 PM
Open the File, do a save as, and save it as the existing building. Then waste everything n the new building. Now, link the "existing building" file that you just made, in to the new building. Obviously, in the "new building" file, delete everything for the existing building. Do the same with the site, and youre all set. A few hours of deleting unneeded stuff in the new files, and youre good to go. :)

Then follow Aarons sugestion above...

nblevins
2007-03-28, 09:31 PM
if everything is linked, what is the most straightforward way to go about producing documents? the documents are already set up, so that will be divided into multiple files along with the buildings. will the linked file generate an accurate drawing list? and will we now have to print from multiple files to get a full drawing set?

i understand that linking was probably the best setup for this project, but since its multiple buildings that evolved from one, it didn't happen that way. the person doing the bulk of the detailing work on it from here on isn't very experienced with revit. he's already frustrated, so i don't want to send him over the edge by throwing too many more wrenches at him.

twiceroadsfool
2007-03-28, 09:48 PM
Well, the modeled elements will obviously get broken up between the two files, and the sheets will exist in both files if you split it by doing a save as and partial delete, like i suggested. I would keep all of the drawings in one file. That makes it more difficult, because you cant tag things like Rooms in linked files... BUT, since the views exist in both, you can display the linked model using "linked views" for the tags and everything... But yeah, it doesnt sound like itll be pretty to manage.

Still, youre going to lose a lot of annotation if you try to move the model anyway...

Hope this helps...