PDA

View Full Version : Creating new floor family

mmenendez
2007-03-28, 05:25 PM
I found this attached document and would like to know how to build the skyscraper in the picture with a floor family. It doesn't have to be as precise but maybe include the same ideas. thanks in advance!

sbrown
2007-03-28, 06:25 PM
Its not a floor family, its a mass family that has various rotation/shape changing parameters all based on what level the family is on. For example, lets say you want the shape to rotate 5 deg for every level. You create a parameter in the family called level(it must be an INSTANCE parameter) then you make a parameter called angle factor(ie 5deg) then a formula parameter that is Rotation Angle Per level and it is set to the Level * the Angle Factor. Then when you insert your family and copy it up each level, change the level instance parameter and watch the magic happen.

I've also used this for things like balconies that you want a diff. size on each floor. I make a length and or width parameter that is based on a projection factor time the level parameter.

You can do amazing things with the family editor!!

sbrown
2007-03-28, 06:27 PM
For the structure that is actually a generic model family created with a void blend shape with the top and bottom shapes controled with parameters, then sweeps with teh struct shape are attached to the edges of the void. the void won't show up when loaded into the project but the sweeps using the edges for the path will.

mmenendez
2007-03-28, 06:37 PM
wow, that sounds like magic! Thanks for the responses! I will try that out.

gbrowne
2007-03-29, 12:32 PM
Yikes! That looks like a nightmare to me! Good luck.