PDA

View Full Version : Export from Revit Architecture to Steel Fabricator

Andre Baros
2007-03-29, 11:25 PM
We have a pretty complete structural model for a project which we drew (from hand drawings from the structural engineer, sigh) and were wondering about the options for exporting it to CIS/2. Is that an option with the structural package? Would it even be worth it? The project is fairly involved and a lot of work has gone into getting an accurate structural model so it would be useful to leverage that data downstream if there is a way.

Any help or useful search terms appreciated.

dbaldacchino
2007-03-30, 01:43 AM
Hmmm interesting....so when modelling the structure, did you guys model connections too? Typically fabricator models are a heck of a lot more detailed than what Engineers/Architects model.

Andre Baros
2007-03-30, 02:05 PM
No joints, just bones... but we thought that they could take what we had as a starting point and fill in the details. We don't want to take on the liability since we not designing the structure or the joints, we just wanted to make their lives easier and speed up the project.

bowlingbrad
2007-03-30, 03:02 PM
I think you can.

Check here (http://cic.nist.gov/vrml/cis2.html)

Scroll down to the revit structure section.

HTH

Andre Baros
2007-03-30, 03:47 PM
Thanks, now we just need to go buy Revit Structures... just to export a file. I don't think that's funny.

bowlingbrad
2007-03-30, 03:59 PM
I actually didn't mean to be funny. I thought you were looking for a way to do it. Sorry for the confusion.... :?

twiceroadsfool
2007-03-30, 05:02 PM
Interesting. With all the speculation that i read on the Out There forum about all the Revit programs technically being the same tool, with different options "turned on and turned off" i wonder what would happen if you used that CIS/2 exporter for Revit Structure, with a Revit Building Model. Simply out of curiousity, id be interested to see what it does...

Andre Baros
2007-03-30, 05:42 PM
I intend to try without structures as a first step.

Brad, I didn't mean that you were being funny, that was very useful information. I mean it's not funny that I need a separate package just to export... mostly because I've been a bit sarcastic on that topic in the past.

bowlingbrad
2007-03-30, 06:22 PM
Okay.
<trying to be funny mode on>

Then just suck it up and buy Revit Structure!

<trying to be funny mode off>

Calvn_Swing
2007-03-30, 08:16 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

We need someone to develop mood font. You know, it changes color, size, and style based on your mood! We can't all have our own, because then it would be so confusing. We need a nice dependable standard. Of course, we'll also need mood sensing keyboards and mice for that to work, or perhaps a brain interface, but still, I think the need is there. Come on free market, work your magic...

In all seriousness, if you have a structural firm in your area that uses Revit, or a friend at one that uses Revit, just take all the things you want to export, put them in their own little revit file, and make the walk/drive/ride/e-commute to their office and try to wrangle them into letting your do the export there. The Revit community is pretty supportive, and I'd bet you could get what you need from the right person.

Good luck!