PDA

View Full Version : Site Plan Creation!

Archimac
2004-07-14, 07:05 PM
:?: I have just used the property line tool for a new home renovation project. I must say it was easier and enjoyable compared to Autocad.

The survey was hand drafted and does not contain topos. I was able to get an image of the site showing topos off the county imaps website. The proble I'm having is rotating the image in Revit to align with the actual property lines I just entered in Revit. Then I need to scale the image to the proper size so I can trace the topos.

I know how to do this in Autocad, but that will not help me in revit!

Please Help, Thanks:?

Allen Lacy
2004-07-14, 07:35 PM
The proble I'm having is rotating the image in Revit to align with the actual property lines I just entered in Revit.
I have rotated the image using a photo editor to approximate my site plan, then imported the image in.

Then I need to scale the image to the proper size so I can trace the topos.
If you can determine the scale of a printed image, then after importing the image, rescale it to match the dimensions of the printed version.

Steve_Stafford
2004-07-14, 07:37 PM
You can resize the image in Revit but you can't rotate it...strange you say? I agree. There are many things relating to images that Revit could/should do better.

You can export your site view to an image file @ 100% from revit. Then bring both images into Photoshop or the like. Transform (Rotate, align and scale) the image to match up to your Revit export image. Remove the Revit export image and save. Import the image to Revit and it will be the right size, you'll just need to move it where you need it to be. Now if only it was linked so any changes would be updated :sad:

Another approach might be to do the linework in Acad over the image file and the link the dwg linework.

A little tip for resizing images: If you know the exact distance of a portion of your image, once you've imported it, use the tape measure to "measure" that distance. For example: an image of a plan has wall whose length is 10 feet but measures 30 feet when imported.

Since the image is larger than the actual size you need to reduce the image size. In the properties of the image, check "Maintain Aspect Ratio" and then put your cursor in the Width parameter, move to the front of the value (don't erase the dimension that's there) and type = then move to the end of the line and type *(10/30) so the complete entry might look like: =<current size dimension> * (10/30). Then press enter. The size of the image will be altered by the ratio of 10 divided by 30. This long paragraph describes something that takes about 10 seconds to do...

Now your image is "really close" to the right size...

slb
2004-07-14, 07:46 PM
You are going to need to make use of the Site Plan's View Property "Orientation". By default, this is set to Project North. You'll want to change that value to "True North", then go to "Tools"; "Locations and Coordinates >"; "Rotate this Project / True North".

You'll need to have a good idea of where true north is in your image and make the site plan view match that orientation.

As far as scaling is concerned, you'll need to identify an object or objects that have a known length or distance. Using the "Tape Measure", measure the known distance to see if you need to scale up or down the image, and by how much.

To "scale" the image, select on it then select "Properties" and increase or decrease the x or y size (make you "maintain aspect ratio") by the determined scale factor. This process may take an iteration or two, but you will be able to get what you need.

Be aware that the image will NOT update if the scale of the view is changed.

Scott_Bloss
2004-07-15, 12:19 AM
I have found it useful to turn the crop region boundry on and rotate my new work to the proper angle to match the image.

1.go to view properies click the crop boundry region to on.
2. Click on the enge of the crop region boundry and you can rotate the new work to align with the image.

I have found this useful with imported or linked autocad drawings as well. however the linked or imported drawings can be rotated. to your desired work plan

Archimac
2004-07-15, 04:10 AM
Wow, looks like there are so many ways of doing this. I think I will use the Photoshop method. I should investigate S Burri's method since it is most official, but a bit over my head at the moment.

I will avoid using Autocad since I am hoping to break the habit and may not always have Auotcad to rely on if we convert.

I trust that this issue will be resolved in v7 in a few months anyway - right? :)

SCShell
2004-07-15, 02:45 PM
Hi there,

Well, as usual, I use a very simple approach to tracing surveys. (Hand drafting mentality I guess!)

I import the ACAD or scanned JPG survey into my project first. Adjust the scale, then select the object (survey) and click 'rotate', then move the center rotation point to a lower right property corner and highlight one of the vertical or horizontal property lines and then click on the vertical or horizontal snap points to get to 90 or 0 degrees. Once rotated, I then trace it. If the survey has really weird property lines, I use a know object which is vertical or horizontal matching my new building, like an existing building or something.

This is no different than when we hand drafted these site plans. You always rotated the survey as needed so that the new building, etc would line up with your mayline and paper sheet. Once done, you put your North arrow and title on the drawing, added a true north arrow and labeled your reference north arrow. This still works in Revit; however, when rendering, you must compensate your sun angles a bit.

That's how I do it, even though it may not be the best or most accurate way to do it.
(Scaling is just how they all describe it. To quote Don Adams, "Ah, the old measure and factor method!")

Hope this helps
Steve Shell

Archimac
2004-07-15, 02:49 PM
But.... Steve, I thought you could not rotate an image in Revit?

Archimac
2004-07-15, 03:08 PM
O.K I have rotated the image in photoshop and imported it into Revit so that the Revit property lines are on top of the image. I don't have the elevations of the topos but they are each two feet vertical.

I have the lot corner elevations from an original 1954 site plan of hte house! So I am not sure how to begin. Do I create a topo surface by clicking corners of the lot and then trace the contours! I can't tell from help what to do first.

Thanks

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2594&stc=1

SCShell
2004-07-15, 03:12 PM
But.... Steve, I thought you could not rotate an image in Revit?

Yes, you can rotate imported ACAD objects. (I rotate my surveys all the time.)
Good Luck
Steve Shell

beegee
2004-07-15, 10:46 PM
O.K I have rotated the image in photoshop and imported it into Revit so that the Revit property lines are on top of the image. I don't have the elevations of the topos but they are each two feet vertical.

I have the lot corner elevations from an original 1954 site plan of hte house! So I am not sure how to begin. Do I create a topo surface by clicking corners of the lot and then trace the contours! I can't tell from help what to do first.

On the Site tab of the Design Bar, click Toposurface.
On the Design Bar, click Point. (It is active by default)
On the Options Bar, specify your absolute elevation
In the drawing area, add points along the contour line by clicking.
Do this for each contour line using the absolute elevation.

Archimac
2004-07-15, 11:36 PM
Thanks beegee! My cable internet was out this afternoon so I had no choice but to figure it out myself. It was pretty amazing to be able to do this!

I'm still not sure about the absolute 0. The site is about 250 above sea level. But I just found the lowest contour (made it 0) and made each consecutive contour 2 feet above that. Now, the big test will be how to change the grading just around the house. I think the topos on the county imaps were just a general slope across the site.

I am starting to feel like an Architect again in Revit.;)