PDA

View Full Version : Surface area question

harkeychad
2007-03-30, 05:58 PM
Is revit able to get the surface area of the exterior walls? What I am looking to do is:
1. Have a house with two gable ends (basically a rectangle) and a wrap around porch. I need to get the surface area of the walls below the the porch and then above. I have some trim design on the gable ends as well that will not be counted.

2. This is to find out how much sq. ftg we need if we go with a stone veneer on certain portions of the house. I need to break them down.

I dont think revit can do this with lines like we could in acad. Do I have to send the elevations to acad and do the area there?

Thanks for the help

Rhythmick
2007-03-30, 07:45 PM
You can do a wall schedule and use the "area" field. you can filter the walls you want by comment.

Joef
2007-03-30, 08:01 PM
This is where the "area tool" comes into play. What you have to do is draw a filled region of the area that you want, and check the properties. Have a pencil and paper handy because you cannot copy and paste or schedule this data.

harkeychad
2007-04-02, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the replys

rjcrowther
2007-04-02, 12:18 PM
This is where the "area tool" comes into play.
Thank goodness for the 'area tool'.

JamesVan
2007-04-05, 07:18 PM
Couldn't You just split the surface(s) of the walls and 'paint' the stone material as required? Then use a material takeoff.

Calvn_Swing
2007-04-05, 08:05 PM
That's the way to do it. Split the surfaces and paint what you want to be the new material. The material takeoff is the way to go.

You can even use design options in combination with this if you want to have a few options quantified.

Or, the wall schedule can work if you just want the surface area of all the exterior walls.

Good luck

Rhythmick
2007-04-05, 11:54 PM
Or, the wall schedule can work if you just want the surface area of all the exterior walls.

Good luckNot sure what you mean!!! Wall schedules can be filtered down to a specific wall or group if you want.

Calvn_Swing
2007-04-06, 04:19 PM
In other words, if he doesn't know how much he wants to be one thing, and how much he wants to be another thing, it would probably be simplest to make a wall schedule and filter out everything but the exterior walls and use that to get his total surface area for the exterior walls (or for one type of exterior walls if it is only one type that might have a change applied to it...)