PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid this?

Maximillian
2007-04-01, 06:54 PM
See image. How is everyone handling the lines from adjacent windows? I am not in favor of using the line work tool although that is what I have been doing....

tc3dcad60731
2007-04-01, 06:58 PM
On one project in most of my views it was not obvious when printed but in the colourized iso such as you show it was obvious. I just went and joined geometry and that took care of it. It was not what I wanted to do but I ended up doing just that.

xiqx
2007-04-02, 07:48 AM
You place 3 times the same window didn't you?

I think you should create a new type in that window family and then remove the overlap.

good luck

nandini
2007-04-02, 10:27 AM
why dont u try nested family?

Maximillian
2007-04-02, 05:37 PM
I would like to have a window family with a visibility parameter that will nest up to 5 windows, but even if i nest them I will still get the same result with the lines right?

i guess i am looking for info on the best way to nest windows and still be able to change each one's size and schedule them individually.

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-02, 05:43 PM
If its a nested window, it will schedule individually. I would have done it that way, with a paramaterized Count or array. The thing is, the glass and window itself would be the nested window, while the sill and lintil i would make part of the Overall Window family, and its length constrained to the array.

That way there is not overlapping geometry...

iru69
2007-04-02, 05:51 PM
The way I typically deal with that situation is to turn off the trim for each individual window and then apply the trim as a separate family after the windows are placed.

There would be two trim families - one is the overall trim surround and I'd have a separate "trim" family that consists just of the vertical piece between the butted windows.

You could combine the trim families, but then you'd probably have to have a separate family for each configuration of multiple windows (i.e. 2-gang, 3-gang, etc.)

This works pretty well when you only have a few instances in a single project.

If you're doing a large number of instances, then you would nest the windows into a window family with the trim applied as described above. The easiest would be to fix the window sizes, but if you are willing to increase the complexity, you could make the sizes variable by linking parameters. You would probably have to do a separate family for each configuration of multiple windows.

Maximillian
2007-04-02, 06:16 PM
Do you have a a nested arrayed family I can check out and study? you would think revit would have this by default...

Are there any good array/nesting tutorials or posts out there? they seem to be the key to all of this ?

Thanks

iru69
2007-04-02, 07:03 PM
Do you have a a nested arrayed family I can check out and study? you would think revit would have this by default...

Are there any good array/nesting tutorials or posts out there? they seem to be the key to all of this ?

Thanks
It sounds more advanced/complex than it is. Create a new window family and delete the opening. Load in the window family of your choosing and place it. Array it. Add some parameters to control it. Add some trim.

I've attached an example of nesting and arraying that I made with just the standard library parts in five minutes (i.e. it's very crude but hopefully gets the idea across).

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-02, 07:18 PM
It doesnt work, entirely. I made this during the first month i was using Revit, when i was learning about the family editor and parameters.

You can get the point i was making though. The skylights themselves are a nested family without the curb, and the curb itself is in the Overall Family...

EDIT: Dont slaughter me for my complete misuse / nonuse of Reference planes... This was made waaaaay before i got the hang of it, LOL...

sbrown
2007-04-02, 08:11 PM
Think of it this way, you create the window family(just like the mfg would) as one casement or double hung or whatever. then you nest that into a "host family" copy it 3 times, using ref. planes to put them where you want, then draw your trim around all 3 in the host family, not in the individual "mfg" family. Then load the whole assembly into your project. If you want the 3 indivdual windows to schedule sep. just make sure the "mfg" family is set to "shared".

Maximillian
2007-04-02, 10:25 PM
Thanks, i will give them a shot..... Just to make things interesting.......How about lites?

It would be cool to be able to specify the number of lites in a window...can that be done with array?

iru69
2007-04-02, 11:09 PM
Yes, you can array lites... but then you're right back to having a bunch of those lines you're going to want to get rid of. :)

Does anyone know of a way to create arrayed lites/muntin bars without arraying horizontal and vertical bars that cross each other?

Currently the way I deal with this is to create a family for ever muntin layout and then nest them in my window and link them to a type parameter. I just re-did all my muntin layouts this weekend, and I was thinking that it would be great if there was a more automated way that still looked as good.