PDA

View Full Version : Railing with detail

bgauthier
2007-04-02, 03:06 PM
Hi everybody. This one is related to the creation of a railing. I'm trying hard on this one but I need help for the fine tuning. On the Handrail file, it is the result I need and Handrail-1 is where I'm at. Thanks

bowlingbrad
2007-04-02, 03:21 PM
You could make the circular item a balluster and place it into the repeat. You could also place the circular item inside the small picket balluster item and control it with visibility type parameter. Then when you need a circle above a picket, switch to that family type.

HTH

bgauthier
2007-04-02, 04:52 PM
I understand what you're telling me but how do I make those circular ones balusters? Maybe my point of view is to narrow to see it as a baluster

sbrown
2007-04-02, 05:29 PM
They are really a balluster panel, I like to make these things(the circles) as generic model, then nest them into the ballster family. then they don't try to stretch on me.

bgauthier
2007-04-02, 07:47 PM
OK, now I'm getting really excited. The only thing I wasn't able to do is to skip one out of two. I think that when you catch the bases of the nested family, you can do almost anything.

sbrown
2007-04-02, 08:07 PM
Yes, nesting is the answer to many issues. It much easier to control, lock etc small pieces to ref. planes then try to lock and dim all the sketches that go into complex families.

bgauthier
2007-04-03, 12:55 PM
Here is the .RVT file of my railing. I putted some notes for the results I'm wishing. If anyone has the time to help me out, it would be appreciated

Sweetshelby
2007-04-03, 05:22 PM
I was able to do the spacing of the circles (I added another round baluster to the pattern and set the offsets to 0" and 4") I also opened up the circle family and moved the center point to the edge of the circle instead. This helped the circle center between balusters instead of above them. But I was not able to miter the ends. You might have to do it with in the baluster family and show it mitered there on the ends. Hope this helped.

bgauthier
2007-04-04, 12:51 PM
Thank you Jennifer. I'm learning a lot these days. I just found out, thanks to you, that you establish the whole repeat of the different components to make the set up. Great