PDA

View Full Version : Exporting 3D models ( to Catia )

Scott_Bloss
2004-07-15, 11:34 AM
I have a consultant that is using Catia by Dassault Systems and would like me to export the 3D model to a file format that they can import directly into there modeling software while maintaining the 3D information. I have not be able to find a way to export so the elevation information for the floors, etc is usable. I have tried exporting to the autocad file formats dwg and dxf, however when opened in autocad the 3D capabilities are gone. Anyone have any suggestions?

Steve_Stafford
2004-07-15, 01:49 PM
My understanding is that you must export from a 3D view to get a 3D data in an export. You should find that the floor entities or the pieces that make up the floor will have an elevation value, Autocad "z" values that is. I think you could draw model lines from the top edge of floor(s) and use those as your "level lines" in a 3D view. You could even label them in the 3D view.

You could export an elevation view with only the levels visible an then merge the dwg data using a side view ucs in Autocad or just identify them directly in Autocad with annotation there. Since I've never seen or touched CATIA I have no idea how or what it wants to see data.

Scott_Bloss
2004-07-15, 03:28 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the input. I will try your suggestions. This Catia software is a big unknow in my mind as well. I am not even sure that it is a windows based software. I am slowly trying to educate my self and find out how it works, i will let you know what i find out.

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-15, 04:03 PM
Scott, I'll try to find some Catia info for you. My mom works for Boeing and is a major point of contact with Dessault systems (even went to visit them in Paris). From what I remember, Catia now has a Windows based version, it was previously Unix based.

Scott_Bloss
2004-07-15, 09:01 PM
Scott, I'll try to find some Catia info for you. My mom works for Boeing and is a major point of contact with Dessault systems (even went to visit them in Paris). From what I remember, Catia now has a Windows based version, it was previously Unix based.

dacree,

any information that you can provide would be helpful. Right now we are trying to export the Revit model directly to Catia to reduce the amout of rework. I have exported the model in a 3D view to a dxf file format as Steve has suggested however the Catia folks are telling me that it only exports generic lines and not 3D solids. I am in way over my head here. Also does anyone have any information on exporting to STEP? I am not even sure what STEP is. Does anyone know if STEP is the Catia file format?

aaronrumple
2004-07-15, 10:29 PM
Step is popular in machining and milling. You can get from AutoCAD 3D to Step using a 3rd party app. However - you get model and nothing but. CATIA is geared for Automotive and Aerospace - not buildings....

Steve_Stafford
2004-07-15, 11:50 PM
...dxf file format as Steve has suggested... DWG dude...don't know if that format would work better but it should...dxf is pretty low level format.

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-16, 12:39 AM
Scott-
Here is a good resource to learn more about CATIA, it's the CATIA Operators Exchange website: http://www.coe.org They have conferences twice yearly all over the United States where users get together and share the cool stuff they're using CATIA for--at the last conference my mom was at, she went to a talk given by someone at Frank Gehry's office, so Gehry's firm uses CATIA to design all those interesting buildings. So it IS beginning to be used for more architectural projects and I heard that they are trying to make it more architecture-friendly, perhaps that means some sort of ACAD compatability.
That's the best I can do for now. I'll let you know if I find anything else out in terms of exports.
Good luck!

Scott_Bloss
2004-07-16, 12:17 PM
DWG dude...don't know if that format would work better but it should...dxf is pretty low level format.

Steve i will give the dwg format a try and see if it behaves any better. I think the translation is good but i geuss the guys at Dassault have a different opinion. Thanks for the input.