PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Shortcuts

gregcashen
2003-07-02, 06:43 AM
I don't know if anyone is interested in this at all at this point, but I was going through the process of rebuilding a crashed hard drive and when I reinstalled Revit at home, I realized how much I hate the standard shortcuts...just like with AutoCAD. I can't tell you how much I love the Express Tool Alias Editor for Acad. No more open acad.pgp, edit, save, close, shut down acad, restart acad...

Anyway, a while ago someone posted a keyboardshortcuts file to the ng and I modified it a little and here it is. The idea is that the most common shortcuts are closely spaced and there are more shortcuts than in the standard file.

Anyway, I found it very useful, so maybe someone else will too.

Henry D
2003-07-02, 02:21 PM
Thanks for posting this- I am a big fan of shortcuts; I just started using these and they are great, so I will definitely learn these - I'm not that far into Revit so it shouldn't be too difficult to teach my fingers new shortcuts.

One I didn't see on your list and have been using quite a bit is turning thin lines on and off.

"TL" menu:"view-Thin Lines"

It would be nice if anyone else has good additional shortcuts - if they could post them.

gregcashen
2003-07-02, 03:03 PM
In keeping with the spirit of the shortcuts, i.e. trying to keep the keys adjacent to one another, I made this shortcut:

"TH" menu:"view-thin lines"

Henry D
2003-07-03, 02:45 PM
Here is one more shortcut I'm using often:

"HI" menu:"view-Hide/Isolate"

How does the underlined H and I work in the dialogue box?
Shouldn't I be able to select an object, type "H" and then object should become hidden?

Henry D
2003-07-03, 04:27 PM
...and some more, great for quick orientation of the 3D model:

"VN" menu:"view-Orient-North"
"VS" menu:"view-Orient-South"
"VE" menu:"view-Orient-East"
"VW" menu:"view-Orient-West"

gregcashen
2003-07-03, 04:38 PM
For those of you still playing along...here is an update.

Henry D
2003-07-03, 06:27 PM
I should have included these isometric 3D views:

"NEE" menu:"view-Orient-Northeast"
"NWW" menu:"view-Orient-Northwest"
"SEE" menu:"view-Orient-Southeast"
"SWW" menu:"view-Orient-Southwest"

sbrown
2003-07-03, 07:14 PM
greg why "LP" for load family, why not LF?

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-03, 07:23 PM
Just a guess, but key proximity? L & P are next door whereas L & F are "faaaar" apart :D Not intuitive but definitely closer...

gregcashen
2003-07-03, 07:30 PM
I thought it was Load Phamily?

I tried to make all of the shortcuts as close to each other as possible so that it's easier to key them in. I hate screen icons and use them only when absolutely necessary or if I don't use a command enough to remember its shorcut. I haven't gotten around to changing some of them. Let me reiterate too that I got this from someone off the ng and modified it a bit, so it's not all my work...wish I could remember who that was.

BTW, In autocad I have mostly single letter, double letter and a few triple letter shortcuts so I can turn off all of my toolbars.

Wesley
2003-07-06, 10:19 AM
I thought y'all might be interested in this - it is a COMPLETE list of keyboard shortcuts for Revit (7 pages as opposed to 3). It is mostly not filled in, so just add in the shortcuts you want.
Cheers,
Wes

John K.
2003-07-06, 05:51 PM
Found some rockin' shortcuts here that I hadn't considered or yet figured out how to create. This site is becoming my surrogate "tech-support" line -- hopefully I'll know enough soon to return the karma...

Thanks all,

John K.

John K.
2003-07-06, 06:08 PM
On a related note: I use <<set work-plane>> a lot and find the dialog box approach slow. Currently, I do the following:

-- <<wp>> to load the <<set workplane>> dialog
-- mouse select <<pick plane>> option
[default selection is <<name>> which I rarely use]
-- mouse <<ok>> or hit <<enter>> key

How can I default to <<pick plane>> and "go" with a minimum number of keystrokes and mouse-clicks?

Also RE: the Trim command with its (3) options

Is it possible to set <<trim-corners>>, <<trim-multiple>>, and <<trim--[don't recall the 3rd option...]>> with individual combo's? I've found that its possible to use numbers as well as letters so perhaps something like <<r1>>, <<r2>>, <<r3>>?

Thanks in advance,

John K.

JamesVan
2003-07-11, 07:48 PM
I've taken the liberty of creating a formatted spreadsheet that outlines the Revit keyboard shortcuts. Print it out for a handy desktop reference or edit it to suit your tastes.

beegee
2003-07-11, 11:57 PM
Thanks James,

very useful.

beegee