PDA

View Full Version : spline wall?

paul.meco
2007-04-04, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know how to create a wall based on a spline in Revit? I know how to create the spline, have done so, and now I am trying to make a wall by selecting that line, and it won't let me. Any thoughts? Thanks.

greg.mcdowell
2007-04-04, 11:02 PM
You'll need to approximate with a series of arcs (which is likely how it would be built anyway).

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-04, 11:17 PM
How was the spline itself created?

paul.meco
2007-04-04, 11:42 PM
The spline was itself created using the spline line command inside of Revit. I appreciate the fact that it would have probably been built with a series of arcs, but it is an existing condition, and a simple and expedient way to model it would be preferable. Thank you

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-05, 02:10 AM
Its a bit of a workaround, but do this... It worked for me.

Create an in-place Mass family, and make it an extrusion. Use the spline as part of its sketch, then just create a back, or whatever. Then finish the family, and you can "Wall by face" it, to put a wall on that follows the spline face.

Is that what you were looking for?

Calvn_Swing
2007-04-05, 02:53 PM
Unfortunately, that's the only way to do it. Sometimes Revit lets you use the spline, sometimes it doesn't. If you want a splined ceiling, you've got to do the same thing because a ceiling can't be a spline. A roof can be. We either use wall by face or room by extrusion to get spline shaped ceilings, depending upon the condition. Don't delete the mass either. Once you've got the wall there, the only way to edit it is to edit the mass and remake the wall. If you delete the mass you can't remake it again, and have to start from scratch...