PDA

View Full Version : Merging roofs??

jbeaman
2007-04-05, 06:17 PM
Is there a way to merge the two roofs in this image so that they trim out right?

Thanks

Mike Sealander
2007-04-05, 06:24 PM
My suggestion is to use a void to clip the roof with the higher ridge. Stop that roof right above the other roof's ridge, then subtract the interfering geometry with a void that you extrude in elevation: it'll be triangular in profile, with one leg on the pitch of the lower roof.
I think that's the best way to do it; you might see what others say as well.

Matt Brennan
2007-04-05, 06:26 PM
You could try using the opening tool > pick a roof to be cut by dormer or if thats doesn't work, try the Pick a roof, floor, or ceiling and cut vertically.

Both tools work like a charm!

Matt Brennan
2007-04-05, 06:27 PM
And once you are done cleaning up the roofs, remember to use your "join geometry" tool to clean up the materials between the 2 roofs.

Rhythmick
2007-04-05, 06:29 PM
You can edit the roof from the plan view and draw the sketch lines at the intersecting valleys up to the peak line then mirror back for the top hip, then join the two.

Calvn_Swing
2007-04-05, 07:03 PM
Assuming they have the same eave height, it would be much easier to just model them as one roof object.

Edit: Modeling a roof as a room would be a pain. Sorry about the typo...

Maximillian
2007-04-05, 07:08 PM
if you want the gable to peek over. edit the roof - drag it back to the ridge of the other roof
- finish - join geometry - go to roof plan and draw detail lines where the roof hits the other - edit the roof again and align to the detail lines - then make a dormer opening.

PS very nice and clean design!

whittendesigns
2007-04-05, 07:21 PM
when you join geometry on the roof, use reference planes and the pick tool to tell you where the valleys are when you go to edit the roofs. makes life easier.

jbeaman
2007-04-05, 07:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies! After I eat my lunch, I'll work this out, thanks to all your help!

Rhythmick
2007-04-05, 07:33 PM
when you join geometry on the roof, use reference planes and the pick tool to tell you where the valleys are when you go to edit the roofs. makes life easier.I don't see why reference planes are needed.If you set the plan view range cut plane above the roof you will see the valleys and can use the pick tool on them.

Assuming they have the same eave height, it would be much easier to just model them as one room object.Definately!

whittendesigns
2007-04-05, 09:57 PM
I use the reference planes becasue invariably, when you have two roofs joined together and you select one for editing, it's the one without the valley lines. Happens every time. If both of your roofs have the valley line, then I must be doing something wrong.

jbeaman
2007-04-05, 10:04 PM
Yeah, it probably would be easier to start over, but I am working on a model that I inherited from someone else. It's actually only my second revit house I've done, and it's been almost a year since I did the first one. Learning slowly but surely.