PDA

View Full Version : Equal option for temporary dimensions

Henry D
2003-07-02, 02:47 PM
Is there a way to use temporary dimensions to have the same equal option the drafting dimensions have? If not, I will add it to the wishlist. I would like to use the temporary dimensions to initially insert an object that needs to be centered, or a series of objects which need equal spacing.

Thanks

Yman
2003-07-02, 03:38 PM
I have asked for this since version 2.11. Hope some day they will think it will be useful and put it in the program.

Y

bclarch
2003-07-02, 03:59 PM
I agree. Should we have a poll for this issue?

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-02, 04:11 PM
No need to poll I dare say...I'd be suprised to find a user who would object?? I'd like it and end up placing dimension just to do that and then delete them...which plays into my wish for separate visibility control for dimension styles. That way I could have drafting dims but they wouldn't plot.

janunson
2003-07-02, 04:30 PM
wouldn't it also be nice if you could constrain actual dimensions to equal but not have them read EQ instead of the distance? I always find myself doing a set of dimensions for constraing purposes, making them EQ, then turning them invisible, then making another set for documentation purposes....a togle control on the text to switch from EQ to <> (actual distance) would be nice.

gregcashen
2003-07-02, 04:36 PM
Ooh, I like that one a lot.

Allen Lacy
2003-07-02, 04:39 PM
Can't you already do that? Right click on dimension, and uncheck "EQ display".

Henry D
2003-07-02, 04:42 PM
I asked Revit Tech. Assist. about this. The answer was that it might be hard under certain more complicated conditions for the program to decide what needs to be equal. I would be happy just with the ability to make two temp. dimensions equal.

But they did say that the next version will have the ability to convert a temporary dim. into a drafting dimension.

janunson
2003-07-02, 04:42 PM
Can't you already do that? Right click on dimension, and uncheck "EQ display".

thanks for that tip.. How cool is that!!? I'd never have noticed that option!

PeterJ
2003-07-02, 05:14 PM
If you unclick the Eq youy loose the constraint so if you move a defining point the equalised object will not move.

I have something more specific in mind for a request. It is not unusual practice here to define the spacing of something to be equal while defining the object size. Taking the case of windows in a wall I would like to be able to have a long dimension string which across openings gives the dimension but across brickwork reads 'Eq'.

Can we do it?

janunson
2003-07-02, 05:23 PM
If you unclick the Eq youy loose the constraint so if you move a defining point the equalised object will not move.
Can we do it?

Yes, but if you just do like Allen was saying and rt-click and change the EQ Display option, the constraint remains, but the dimensions show their actual widths.

I like your partial eq suggestion a lot. I have placed in wish lists before a request for multiple eq's as well (a dimension string with EQ1 and EQ2 in it (EQ2 = EQ1/2)) I suppose this can already be done in family editor by just setting formulas for parameters, but being able to do the same kind of complex constraints in a regular model with walls and windows would be great.

Michael Coviello
2005-02-10, 01:57 PM
I agree. I think being able to EQ temporary dimensions is key during preliminary layout where you don't want to show the actual dimension.

J. Grouchy
2005-02-10, 02:11 PM
I'd like to allow an EQ option for dimensions that are not immediately adjacent to each other...see attached.