PDA

View Full Version : Partial Wall Component

glennh.137232
2007-04-09, 04:26 PM
Revit Newbie,

How would you go about creating a wall to show Ceramic Tile to a height of 4ft while the rest of the wall is 8+ft??

Thanks for any help

Calvn_Swing
2007-04-09, 05:03 PM
You've got about 10 ways, all of which are workarounds if you ask me... It all depends on what you want to do with the wall after you're done with it...

If you need it to look right in section, elevation, etc... and schedule correctly, then you should do it as a stacked wall. Make a basic wall for each type (one with the tile, the other for what's above the tile). Now, edit a stacked wall and duplicate, rename it appropriately, and edit the structure so it's how you want it to be. Then, place the wall. Viola! Of course, all bets are off if you want your wall tags to come out right - if your firm's wall tags are "smart" and linked to a type parameter for the wall. If the wall tags are all instance based then you're in like Flint.

If you only need it to elevate right, then you can actually just place the wall and split the surface. Then, paint the tile on the lower portion. Done! The material schedules, and everything is perfect except in section where you don't have an increased thickness. Of course, you'd probably add a detail component to represent the tile anyway, so this may not be a problem. This is what I do.

Or, if the height is consistent (4' always) then you can make a new wall type and modify it's section properties (how you add sweeps as well) and split one surface of the finish layer at 4'. Then, make the lower layer tile, and you're good to go. It still doesn't section correctly, and it still adds a type to your type selector, but it isn't all bad either.

Or, you could really fudge it and just do an elevation view and draft in the tile pattern. This is my least favorite.

There's 4 choices! Play spin the bottle, or flip a coin, or Rack Paper Scissors - whatever your favorite method of making a decision is.

Good luck!!!

aaronrumple
2007-04-09, 05:50 PM
...or my favorite: Just do the tile as a separate wall. This then allows the tile to be filtered out in small scale views for better graphics. You can use align/lock to tie the two walls together so they move with each other. This all so allows you to do an edit profile on the tile for special designs.

Calvn_Swing
2007-04-09, 06:30 PM
That one isn't all bad either! I have run into problems with that strategy in one project trying to keep all the walls aligned, but then again that was when we were very green on Revit. Might be a good solution to try again...

glennh.137232
2007-04-09, 06:37 PM
Thx all, that helped out alot