PDA

View Full Version : Axon detail

jond
2007-04-09, 06:30 PM
Comrades,
Is it possible to make axon details within Revit? I'd really like to make cut away details with filled regions, etc. The main obstacles I see are:

1. You cant "draft" in a 3d view
2. A 2d view has no way of using the 3d view as a background.
3. 3d views are basically just for representation not diagramming?

Calvn_Swing
2007-04-09, 06:32 PM
Though I'd love Revit to have some 3D drafting tools, you're right about limitations being there for now. What we've chosen to do is have all of our 2D details with notes, etc... on the same sheet as a 3D axon of the same condition. The 3D is for reference, but we don't annotate it at all. Works well for us.

Justin Marchiel
2007-04-09, 07:19 PM
by cut aways do you mean that you want to cut the corner out of a building and see inside? Does a scope box do the trick? maybe 2?

Do you mean and exploded view, where an element if pulled apart (such as a connection detail). This would be a little harder, but with filters and overlaying views, you could essential make a bunch of views looking at the same thing and turn off elements. Then overlay those views on a sheet and it would give the sense of and exploded view.

Sorry if i didn't understand the questions, but hope my ideas help.

Justin

ejburrell67787
2007-04-09, 09:19 PM
The closest you'll get is a 3d detail that you can annotate but not dimension or add draughting to as Kelly noted. If you do a seach you'll find threads setting out exactly how to generate these - they are very easy as it is just a matter of orientating a 3d view to a detail section and then spinning the view to the ortho angle you want.

jeff.95551
2007-04-09, 10:41 PM
We've done it to Autocad - get the 3d view with scope box you want, then export to dwg. If you're going to go to all the trouble of doing this anyway, you probably are far enough along that having a static detail is fine anyway. Once you've got the model in Autocad, the typical 3d tools are all available. Then bring it in as a drafting view. We had a lot of iso details that we chose just to leave in 2d when we migrated to Revit. To get a true axon you probably have to export - I don't think you have enough control over the 3d view to set a real axon in Revit.

Jeff

dhurtubise
2007-04-10, 07:02 AM
You don't need to go to AutoCAD. Simply overlay a drafting view on top of the 3D view on a sheet and activate it.
Then you can easily annotate.

jeff.95551
2007-04-10, 05:48 PM
You don't need to go to AutoCAD. Simply overlay a drafting view on top of the 3D view on a sheet and activate it.
Then you can easily annotate.

How do you orient the 3dview to get an axonometric view? (z axis is perfectly vertical, x axis is at 45.00 degrees on paper, and y axis is at 135.00 degrees on paper) I haven't found where you have that much control, and that's the problem Jond is trying to deal with, as I understand it...

Teresa.Martin
2007-04-10, 07:38 PM
Hi!
Actually, you can dimension in a 3D view! Here is a good trick. After you create the 3D view, turn on your work plane and align to say the face of a wall. You can then dimension from the top to the bottom of the wall. For each direction, you need to re-align the work plan.
See attached JPEG.

Best regards,

jond
2007-04-11, 03:37 PM
Hi!
Actually, you can dimension in a 3D view! Here is a good trick. After you create the 3D view, turn on your work plane and align to say the face of a wall. You can then dimension from the top to the bottom of the wall. For each direction, you need to re-align the work plan.
See attached JPEG.

Best regards,

This is definitely one of my favorite tricks in terms of modeling as well.

It really helps....

Scott Hopkins
2007-04-11, 07:24 PM
Great tip Teresa!

ryan.114064
2007-05-18, 07:54 PM
Hi!
See attached JPEG.

Best regards,

Excellent Idea!

Ryan

sfaust
2007-05-18, 08:50 PM
How do you orient the 3dview to get an axonometric view? (z axis is perfectly vertical, x axis is at 45.00 degrees on paper, and y axis is at 135.00 degrees on paper) I haven't found where you have that much control, and that's the problem Jond is trying to deal with, as I understand it...
View->Orient->Southwest (or Northwest, or Northeast, etc.). It's actualy 30/150 not 45/135 but it should work the same...

Scott D Davis
2007-05-18, 11:32 PM
Also, think about exporting your 3D axon view to DWG. Bring the DWG back into a drafting view, and now do all the "2D" drafting you'd like, including notes, dims, etc. So what if the model is not "underlayed" live to that particular detail?

rjcrowther
2007-05-19, 12:35 AM
Hi!
See attached JPEG.

Best regards,
That is fantastic. Now, is there a way to get text to oblique so it looks like it sits on the same plane as the object it refers to?

Rob

archjake
2007-05-19, 02:00 PM
Also, think about exporting your 3D axon view to DWG. Bring the DWG back into a drafting view, and now do all the "2D" drafting you'd like, including notes, dims, etc. So what if the model is not "underlayed" live to that particular detail?
Scott,

Nice tip, but wouldn't it be better if Revit would do this for us? Or how about a 3D drafting view? It could start out by snatching a section of the model and then we could peel the layers back. Or we could start from scratch and start modeling. Even sketch-up like would be great. Or we could start with a family.

I'd love a separate or connected 3D drafting view in Revit.

Scott D Davis
2007-05-19, 05:42 PM
Scott,

Nice tip, but wouldn't it be better if Revit would do this for us? Or how about a 3D drafting view? It could start out by snatching a section of the model and then we could peel the layers back. Or we could start from scratch and start modeling. Even sketch-up like would be great. Or we could start with a family.

I'd love a separate or connected 3D drafting view in Revit.
Totally agree with you that it would be great to have! I was just pointing out a way to do it now.