PDA

View Full Version : "Clipped-Hip" Roof - How To?

mlgatzke
2004-07-16, 04:28 AM
How would I go about creating the area of the roof I've indicated in the attached image? I've got everything else done and this part is driving me nuts. I've run out of ideas.

"Help me Mr. Wizard?"

aaronrumple
2004-07-16, 05:43 AM
See attached image. The top and right are two lines - not one. The two corner lines between the ref planes are non-slope defining lines. The upper slope defining line is set 2' lower than the others in peoperties.

steve.70285
2004-07-16, 05:52 AM
If it's ok to shift the main ridge a little to the front, I'd do this...

aaronrumple
2004-07-16, 01:17 PM
Only had access to my demo copy last night. Here's the real deal.

steve.70285
2004-07-16, 01:22 PM
MG, I though your picture was of a model you were unhappy with...not a sketch.

Sorry... my comment is probably of no help.

mlgatzke
2004-07-16, 01:52 PM
Aaron,

I tried previously what you recommended and I seem to be having difficulties with it. When I do this, Revit seems to be looking right past any line that isn't slope defining.

The image I've attached (#2) is my roof in Sketch Mode. I've annotated it to show what I've done. From what I can see, every line makes sense and allows the fascia line to raise and lower appropriately. However, when I build the roof and rais the back line (noted in black) (for what I call a "clipped hip") Revit gives me an error that says, "Cannot make footprint roof". Then, when I lower that back line (noted in black) I get a result that is not what is intended (see image #3).

bclarch
2004-07-16, 02:01 PM
If you can't get it to work by tweaking the sketch lines you might try creating a standard hip and cutting it back with a void.

mlgatzke
2004-07-16, 02:22 PM
I don't think, considering that the changes roof type occur around corners, that this roof can be tweaked with voids to get the result I'm looking for. I've considered it and tried it, but without success.

mlgatzke
2004-07-20, 04:18 AM
No other suggestions? I've really got to solve this. The project is almost complete - except for this darn roof. I can't exactly tell them, "Oh, sorry, but I can't create the roof the way you want it - Revit won't let me". That would go over real big. Especially considering that this is a company who has just invested in Revit and I'm trying to help them see how Revit can benefit their organization.

Any other ideas?

Scott D Davis
2004-07-20, 04:51 AM
What happens when you get rid of the short lines that you have labeled as 'not slope defining' and trim the remaining sketch lines back together?

Can you 'saveas' and delete everything but the roof and post it? I think we collectively could figure it out.

Mr Spot
2004-07-20, 05:59 AM
I have had a muck around and managed to get the form as per you image. Wasn't sure of the building form so haven't cleaned up the roof properly, but it should give you an idea. I just used 3 roofs and openings to delete the areas i didin't want. Once you amend it just use the roof join tool to clean up the edges a bit.

Hope this was what you were after.

Regards,
Chris.

adegnan
2004-07-20, 12:08 PM
Mike,

Draw the roof extending the full distance to the rear of the house with the eave height consistent with the side of the house and the front of the house. (What does it extend, another 2' or 4' maybe, right?)

Then draw a roof opening void to cut off the rooof where you want it there.

This should work right?

aaronrumple
2004-07-20, 02:22 PM
Here's the basic idea. One roof. One Hole.

Only difference with my sketch is that I have the same slope all around. It looks like you have different slopes north/south and east/west.

Wes Macaulay
2004-07-20, 02:48 PM
When all else fails I model the roof up in pieces: one roof object for each side. Then getting the form you want is NO problem.

gravelin
2004-07-20, 04:08 PM
Look at attached files.
is this what you want to do ?

You NEED calculate the elevation of the line

YG

SkiSouth
2004-07-20, 04:18 PM
See if this helps:
(Sorry had to zip it to get it under the file size limits)
This is a word document with illustrations on how to form the roof shown in the thumbnail

mlgatzke
2004-07-20, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the information. Many of these I've already tried, but something is still preventing the roof from forming to it's sketch lines (per "slope defining" and "non-slope defining"). I will take a look at the information you've all provided. In the end, I may have to create each roof plane as a separate roof object. I'll let you know.

mlgatzke
2004-07-21, 01:10 PM
Alright, I've had a chance to look at the solutions you've all provided me. First of all, I know how to change the roof from hip to gable within the same roof line. I just can't make it happen WHERE I want it to. Revit keep overriding my sketch lines and where the change is supposed to occur. As far as Aaron's model (very excellent by the way). I modified your model only by changing your 12:12 slopes to my client's slopes (8:12 side-to-side and 6:12 front-to-back), and your model began giving me the exact same error messages I've been getting. So, obviously, which slope a user inputs makes a difference. Why, I don't know.

I am forwarding this on to Revit Support. I'm hoping that they can find a better solution than piecing it together with individual roof planes (as suggested by Wes). Thanks Wes, but I try to avoid this at all costs.

By the way, I've also found another interesting <flaw?>. I have two roofs that have been assigned a slope of 8:12; yet when I put them on top of one another and look at them in elevation, the slopes are not the same and do not join properly. Hmmmm. . . fishy.

aaronrumple
2004-07-21, 02:18 PM
Paste the roof into a new project and post it here...

Wes Macaulay
2004-07-21, 02:41 PM
Mike, your roof is probably simple enough that you can do it with one sketch.

We have some roof projects around here wherein the eave articulates so much that there wasn't a hope in Gehenna that Revit would be able to make sense of it. So separate roof pieces it was. It's not a bad hack at all, really: you can move the roof pieces up and down and fit them all together and join geometry to finish up.

mlgatzke
2004-07-21, 10:39 PM
GOT IT!

I sent it to Steve Burri @ Autodesk. He split the rear roof slab out as a separate object and got it to work. I'd like to thank all of you who tried to help. Usually roofs are easy for me, but this one threw me for a loop.

I've attached the file so everyone can take a look at it and see what he did.

Thanks again to all of you.

Steve_Stafford
2004-07-21, 11:36 PM
I thought you were after this? I did this with an in-place roof void slicing off the roof "excess" last night but thought you want it to do what I show in the thumbnail? To match the front?

mlgatzke
2004-07-22, 04:40 AM
I thought you were after this? I did this with an in-place roof void slicing off the roof "excess" last night but thought you want it to do what I show in the thumbnail? To match the front?The client has provided me with examples of both situations. To be honest, I don't know which they'll prefer in the end. The version that Steve was able to provide was the client's most often used example. We'll have to see. If necessary, it'll be easy enough to change.