PDA

View Full Version : Joining fascia???

jbeaman
2007-04-10, 11:32 PM
What would be the best way to join up the roof fascia in the attached image?

Actually, as you can probably see, it isn't really fascia, it's just two roofs on top of each other, but after joining them, I'm not getting a clean join at corners like this.

Thanks

ejburrell67787
2007-04-11, 11:24 AM
Are the roofs actually joined to each other? (ie the 2 upper roofs joined and the 2 lower roofs joined) It looks like they aren't in the image, so maybe pull one roof back and then use the join roof tool...

HTH.

Matt Brennan
2007-04-11, 03:20 PM
Fascias can be tricky sometimes. What I would recommend is to do the fascia as one; select both eaves in the same run. This method will only work if your roof eaves are at the same height.

Otherwise you could always edit the two fascias afterwards by selecting them, and dragging the grips to meet each other.

If this doesn't work, let us know and so we can try and take another stab at it.

jbeaman
2007-04-11, 03:25 PM
OK, I've made sure that the roofs are joined, no help.

As for there being fascia, there is none. There is just the roof edges.

kpaxton
2007-04-11, 03:46 PM
OK, I'm going to take a stab in the dark here - but WHY are you not using Fascia? - and why are you using just the roofing to show these conditions (two roofs atop one another)? What is your roof construction made of?

Roofs in and of themselves are not going to extend and clean up as you've shown. The only way this will occur, is if the lower roof were constructed as a part of the upper roofs sketch. From your image, I can't see why this can't be done - but we're only seeing a part of the picture. The other way is if the lower roof were extended into the upper roof, creating the valley's, but the upper roof would need to 'run past' the lower roof.

kyle

jbeaman
2007-04-11, 04:57 PM
Here's a larger image of the roof in question. I guess I could just unjoin the roofs and instead do a cutout leaving the top roof protruding past the bottom roof. Only problem with that is that I loose the lines where the roofs meet.

Thanks for helping out.

whittendesigns
2007-04-12, 01:14 AM
I think I might see where your problem is. It sounds like you joined geometry and you have the valley lines. And if you unjoined, you'd lose them right?

What I usually do is edit my roofs after i join geometry. Meaning, you probably have some leftover roof underneath. If you clean up where the valleys are, they should form a nice mitre there.

The edit lines of your roof are basically just your boundary lines. If you make your edit lines follow your valley, you can unjoin, join whatever and it will still look the same. It will have a crisp line there.

Are you not putting fascia up for the square end look?

ejburrell67787
2007-04-12, 08:28 AM
It might just be a matter of checking where your sketch lines of the roof are for the 'dormer' cutout - they look they are aligned to the 'dormer' roof on the upper surface of the main roofs where they actually need to be on the lower surfaces.

(if this makes any sense...)

jbeaman
2007-04-12, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. No matter what I try, I can't seem to get them to clean up right. Maybe I need to try using a fascia instead of just the raw roof edges.

Mike Sealander
2007-04-12, 04:03 PM
I've ended up approaching roofs as if they were solid modeling components, using extruded roofs with Cut Plan Profile, and subtracting portions with Voids. This may be a weird way to do it, but treating roofs as solids seems to work.

kpaxton
2007-04-12, 04:05 PM
J-
Thank you for posting the additional picture - it certainly tells more of the story than the other, smaller one!! There are two topics I would like to bring up regarding this difficulty.

The first is about the roof's construction. I am a little confused as to why you've built the roof in this manner. You've described that you've got two roofs - one atop one another, correct? I think I'm somewhat familiar with what I'm seeing as it's similar to some of the mountain home roofs I've designed in Utah. My first suggestion/question- Is this roof constructed the way it would be in the field? I see a metal roof as the finish pattern, yet it appears to be over 6 inches in thinkness. You then have another 'structural' roof under this?? A lot of us here do use two roofs - one for structure, the other for the finish, such as a metal or tile roof, but yoiu have to do a bit of planning for how this will be constructed in Revit.

The second topic is about solving the problem at hand - As you've got it drawn, I can see that you've got two roofing elements- the upper gable portion and the lower cross gable. If I were doing this, I probably would create them as two separate roofs - as there would be an issue creating the upper's gable, then joining, etc. Once I'd create the roofs, then I'd join geometry, creating the 'valley intersections. Then I'd go into a roof plan where I could see the roofs. I would then use the Modelling > Opening Command to 'cut away' the portions of the roofs that don't belong. You can pick the valley lines created by join geometry as your guidelines. Do this for each roof for those portions not needing to be there. If you're worried about losing the valley lines, create reference places over these lines before creating the Openings.

As I stated earlier, these two roofs are not going to 'join' together at that corner, unless you create it as one roof. You'd then have to create the upper gable portion on it's own and get it to extend to the upper portion of the roof, then join geometry to remove the joint line. At this point, I'd use the Fascia sweep tool to 'clean the joint. That's how they're going to build it in the field anyway.

Hope this helps,
Kyle

jbeaman
2007-04-12, 04:41 PM
Now that's something I can relate to as I do a considerable amount of solid modeling in ACAD.