PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling with Options

ford347
2007-04-11, 08:20 PM
I am putting together window and door schedules for a project that has multiple design options. I know I can control vis for design option in schedules, which brings me to my question or problem. Since I can only tell one schedule to show one design option, it looks like my only option here is to create two schedules, one for A and one for B. But the windows and doors that are affected by the facade option are minimal compared to the number of doors and windows that don't change throughout the project. So I would have two schedules showing all the windows and doors twice, just to schedule out a few of the windows and doors that were affected by the facade options.

What have others done to avoid repeating information. Should I create a instance parameter and type in Option A and Option B to those appropriate elements, then filter by those? This seems cumbersome.

I wish we had the ability to filter, sort etc. by option or were able to use the option as a parameter in the schedule so it could be shown in a column as to which option set the element belonged to. This makes much more sense as it could all be taken care of in one schedule.

Thoughts and suggestions???

Thanks.
Josh

phyllisr
2007-04-12, 12:28 AM
This is definitely a work-around and depends on where the doors are located and what numbering standards you use. If you really only have a handful of doors, is it an option to filter by the mark (not type mark) to get the few that will change? Begins With or Includes or Ends with or something? Maybe add a B to the number in one option and a A to the other? Or if they are all 20x, use that?

Could you use the Type Mark and just create a duplicate type for Option B (for example) and filter that way? Again, it depends on what you use for your schedule and how you use parameters but it is an option short of better filtering.

Sorry I do not have the magic bullet for this one. My work-arounds are not particularly elegant but they are faster than creating more parameters to clutter your project. I also would like a few more filtering options. Along with about a mile long list of other things I want...

dbaldacchino
2007-04-12, 04:06 AM
What about creating a new phase and assign these design option objects to the newer phase? Now you can use a phase filter to get just these objects in a schedule.

ford347
2007-04-12, 01:55 PM
Hey guys,

thanks a lot for the replies. I would probably opt to take the filter by....whatever approach, although I could see the phase approach working pretty easy too. I appreciate the suggestions.

I actually ended up just using two schedules. At first this seemed like it was a little over-done, but we are going to be the prime on it as well, and it will actually help to have two seperate schedules for each option although not much changed. Now you have totals for each option etc. So I think I'll stick with the way I said I didn't want it to begin with!:lol: It'll com eup again I'm sure and I'll be using one of the aforementioned methods though!

Josh

clog boy
2007-04-12, 02:49 PM
"I wish there were more options."

I wish there was less confusion. I stick with KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid.

ford347
2007-04-12, 03:45 PM
I stick with KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid.
Agreed! Working on that one!:?

bpoppe
2011-03-12, 09:16 PM
Ok, I'm trying to work through this very thing.

I've searched the forums and read these threads already:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=34933
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=37640

Here's what I have.

A renovation building project with multiple "bid alternates". Each of these alternates (when applicable) are a design option.

So, for instance, at the northwest building entry I have a pair of doors replacing the original doors as the base bid work. Then I have an alternate bid where the same new doors are located a bit further out.

Here's the problem I have. Only the base bid doors are showing up in the door schedule. I can't seem to get the alternate bid doors to show up in the same (or even a duplicated) schedule. I've gone to View Properties > Visibility/Graphics Overrides > Design Options and chosen the option with the Bid Alternate doors. Still no joy. Only the base bid doors are in the schedule.

Also, if I can't get the same schedule to show both base bid and alternate bid doors at the same time then I need the alternate bid schedule to show only the alternate bid doors so I'm not duplicating information (showing base bid work in two different schedules)

What am I doing wrong? What should I do differently? This is RAC 2010.

Thanks!

dbaldacchino
2011-03-13, 07:25 AM
I assume that your "base bid" door is still in a design option, correct? Which means that when you set up a schedule, it will display doors in the Main Model plus your primary option if the schedule's V/G is set to <automatic>. For the altername, you change the design option in V/G for your schedule to the correct one. However note that doors in the Main Model are still scheduled. So if you don't want to re-list them, your only option as far as I know is to assign some sort of filter so you only display the doors that pertain to the alternate and not the ones in the Main Model. I know, I hate it too and wish schedules were more flexible in this regard.