PDA

View Full Version : Excuse my ignorance, what are system families?

Dave F.
2007-04-12, 05:14 PM
...what is a System Family exactly?
I Can't find any clues in the help.

Specifically, Wall Sweeps. How do I change the profile?
I only appear to have Default & a steel I beam loaded.
Can I use different profiles?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Dave F.

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-12, 05:19 PM
Hi David-

System Family (my understanding) is the term used to descibe items that are built in the Project, and not as a particular family. For instance, Walls are System Families. You can define them, but not in a separate Family RFA file.

You can make a new wall sweep profile. Go file > New > Family > Profile Template.

Make your new profile. Save it, and hit Load in to Project.

Then press the Host Sweep > Wall Sweep tool, and go to properties. Click Edit new, to make a new Wall Sweep Type. Name it whatever is relevant. Then, under profile, change the profile to the one you just loaded in.

That should add in your new profile. :)

Dave F.
2007-04-12, 06:44 PM
Cheers Aaron

Works perfectly.
Follow on Q:

Can I do the same for stairs? I can't see a specific template.
I guess they're a bit more complicated than sweep profiles, but I'm have loads of problems getting a monolithic stair to abut/join into a concrete slab.

Cheers
Dave F.

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-12, 07:16 PM
Cheers Aaron

Works perfectly.
Follow on Q:

Can I do the same for stairs? I can't see a specific template.
I guess they're a bit more complicated than sweep profiles, but I'm have loads of problems getting a monolithic stair to abut/join into a concrete slab.

Cheers
Dave F.

Monolithic stairs are a toughy. Do a search, and youll discover you are not alone in this struggle...

But yes, you do not build them as an out-of-place family traditionally (and i say that because you can, i suppose...).