PDA

View Full Version : roof peak and valley only in underlay?

Maximillian
2007-04-12, 07:48 PM
I cant seem to understand how to get a roof overlayed so that I get the peaks and valleys only, not all of the underside of the roof that show up when I switch to "wireframe".

This is really killing me. I have a big note in my office that says" NO DETAIL LINES NO LINE WORK TOOL"

I know the sheet overlay trick but that seems to only work in wireframe mode?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Max Lloyd
2007-04-12, 08:24 PM
Hi there,

I'm totally lost as to what you are trying to achieve here? Do you want to have a wireframe view and not see the underside of the roof?

Confused....

Max.

(edit: ok, I think I get it. You are underlaying a floor that is beneath your current view.....that floor contains a roof that is then displaying as though it is wireframe....is that it?)

Maximillian
2007-04-12, 09:18 PM
My apologies.. that image is just to show the wireframe effect on roofs. It is not an illustration of what I am trying to achieve. I just want to be able to turn off the lines shown in the image when the roof is in wireframe view mode.

My goal is :

roof plan = roof with walls below dashed.
site plan = walls with roof above dashed.

I am just finding it cumbersome or not possible to easily show elements above/below.

Adam Mac
2007-04-12, 10:46 PM
I think that your cut planes still come into play with regard to underlays?? So you may need to fiddle with those BUT if your view is set to wireframe then i don't think you have much choice other than to use the linework tool to "invisibl-ise" the un-wanted lines.
Anyone else?

SkiSouth
2007-04-13, 12:29 AM
Can get the roof on the floor plan pretty easily. Go to an elevation and create a new level above the highest point of the roof you wish to show. Create a plan view of that level. Go to the site plan, select underlay, plan, then the level you just created. You should now have your roof plan on the floor plan. You can stop here, or per your definition above, select a detail hidden line and the automatic lock for lines created, and select the roof lines to create a hidden line outline of the roof. You can create a new view to store this look independently if you wish. For the site plan. I used a wireframe mode, walls only showing, and overrode the projection type (as you are above the wall and not cutting it) and made the line type hidden. Neither solution is ideal, but it can be accomplished. (In the first image, the underlay is still on so you can see the roof outline as it runs under the hidden lines drawn.

Maximillian
2007-04-13, 01:19 AM
Good advice. However I cant use detail lines EVER. They are a problem. I have been doing many projects when I have to go back for client changes and the detail lines just become a headache. The problem with the underlay visibility is that I sometimes I need to show an underlay under my roof , but in the underlay has other roofs below. I need to hide the roofs that are there (cant achieve both conditions). In other words I think I would be necessary to have a visibility/graphics for underlays too. Perhaps the vis/graphics roof category could have a siloet/outline check box.

Thanks everyone.

SkiSouth
2007-04-13, 01:38 AM
Haven't tried it yet, but you do have better visibility controls in views with r8.

Maximillian
2007-04-13, 03:43 AM
when you say r8 do you mean the release that just came out ie: revit 10 (2008 )( revit architecture) ?

Max Lloyd
2007-04-13, 01:01 PM
yes, actually, I think that may just do what you are looking for as any object can have its appearance modified in any specific view. Should work....?