PDA

View Full Version : Family template list

dpasa
2007-04-16, 06:27 AM
It would be nice to have a list of the family templates, with a small description of what kind of object we create with this family and when we should use this kind of family and not another.
Of course, this has no meaning for a spot light family, we all understand what we do with it but there are other categories like "Profile hosted" for example.
Also, it is very important for non-expert users like me to read some advice on where to use each family. For example, when is it useful to replace a ceiling-based or a roof-based family with a simple face-based family
Is there any article (maybe from a blog) about this matter? I would be very interested to read something like that because I have a very limited experience in creating families and I think I should start with the new release.

chris.needham
2007-04-16, 08:33 AM
Completely agree, this would be great. Good question.

aaronrumple
2007-04-16, 01:59 PM
Actually there is no real difference between Profile and Profile Hosted, Profile Reveal, etc... They all make the same object.

The templates simply help you identify on which side of the ref. plane you should draw to cut or add to a wall, floor, roof etc... The text in those files preforms no other magic.

What you want to pay attention to is Settings > Family Category and Parameters > Profile usage. This can be used to limit which pull down menu the profile will be available. If set to generic, it will show up on several different object pull downs.

The other limit again has nothing to do with the template. But rather what you draw. A fascia for instance, supports multiple loops. A wall sweep does not. So if you try to use a profile with multiple loops on a wall sweep you will get an error,