PDA

View Full Version : wall schedule

nandini
2007-04-16, 06:37 AM
hi..
is there any way we can include the base and the top levels of a wall in a wall schedule?
or atleast the height...
any help please...

ejburrell67787
2007-04-16, 10:55 AM
Very good question. Seems very odd that there isn't a "level" field in wall schedules either...! I tried a calculation of Volume / length / width = height, but of course this is inaccurate because volumes have openings subtracted from them...

ashuler
2007-04-16, 03:49 PM
In theory you could created a calculated value in your wall schedule that would would have the formula: Area / Length.
This should give the height of a wall, but may not be 100% accurate.

ejburrell67787
2007-04-16, 04:23 PM
In theory you could created a calculated value in your wall schedule that would would have the formula: Area / Length.
This should give the height of a wall, but may not be 100% accurate.Actually area / length = width! Area is the area of a wall in elevation, not plan, and it will have the windows and doors subtracted also... as I posted about volume above... :?

christo4robin
2007-04-17, 12:49 AM
Not sure what your purpose is, but you could go to a 3d view, tag the top and bottom of the wall with a spot dimension, and then orient the 3d view to top - thus creating a plan view.

dgraue
2007-04-17, 09:39 PM
This is a very good question. If there isn't a straight forward approach to scheduling the height of a wall there must be a clever way to represent it in the schedule.

This would be very useful for panel walls where costs would be a factor of width multiplied by height and a unit cost would be assigned by thickness.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to schedule wall height accurately?

papurajx
2007-05-14, 09:24 AM
Revit Develpment team is a bit reluctant to add the level parameter in the wall schedule. Obviously they have reasons not to include it (their argument is, what if I place the wall in one level and tweek the top and bottom constraint to some other level !?!?!?).

I am one among you wanting to have Level Parameter to go with the wall schedule but there is a workaround for it. I add Level as project parameters and attach to the walls and schedule them.

Out of curiosity, I am asking, "what is the real pupose of scheduling the height, top and bottom level of the wall?

I don't see any need for it in the construction documentation!!!! We need justifications to press for such things from the development team...

SCShell
2007-05-14, 02:52 PM
Hey there,
I used to have several wall types that had this set as a type parameter. (ie: Up to ceiling grd, up to bottom of structure etc..)
Then, I got tired of all the wall types, so now, I just have the field in my schedule show with nothing until I type a value for one or two walls, then I can select from those to fill out the others.
A little time consuming, but it works.
Good luck
Steve

DaveP
2007-07-03, 03:20 PM
Out of curiosity, I am asking, "what is the real pupose of scheduling the height, top and bottom level of the wall?

I don't see any need for it in the construction documentation!!!! We need justifications to press for such things from the development team...
I've come across this twice now. We've got a building requirement that the Exterior walls must be at least 50% brick or stone (no idea why, but that's what the city wants). In another case it was a Parking Ramp where they needed to know % of open space vs % of wall.
I can schedule the actual area of Brick by wall type, but I can't get the Gross Area of the wall anywhere.

I'm assuming this is because you can do all sorts of nifty tricks like Wall Sweeps, Edit Profile and such, but it would be nice to figure out the Area of a wall before you cut stuff out of it.

Brandonp
2007-08-06, 04:33 PM
I realize that this is a late entry in this thread but, has anyone taken into consideration when you have a wall that projects up 2 or 3 stories? How would you go about calculating the number of studs in this wall? Yes, you could multiply the number of studs by 2 or 3 but how do you sort and distinguish these walls from others in your wall takeoff schedule? Without a level or height parameter to sort these walls by, I'm not sure how to schedule multi-story height walls.

TroyGates
2007-08-06, 05:51 PM
You could add a project parameter that you can use to specify if the walls are multistory. Then you can use the project parameter as part of your calculations...

IE: (Wall Area / Stud Area) * Number of Stories

The only thing that won't happen automatic is the entry to each wall is the number of stories. You will need to enter that information yourself into each wall.

eldad
2007-09-19, 10:48 PM

well, there is a REAL need to know the height of the wall as this will affect cost!
So, do we still have to type it every time? or has anyone found a workaround? :)

thanks,

wblaney
2007-12-17, 05:36 PM
Reviving this thread...

I need to schedule my walls for energy load calculations and until Revit Systems & IES can generate ComCheck output, I've got to extract data from my model to enter into DOE's program. This means I've got to list walls by area - simple enough to calculate the overall area of a wall (without window or door openings) based on wall length and a manually entered roof height, but I'm running into trouble when I get into stacked walls.

It seems the only way to get my shared wall parameters to show up in stcaked walls is to "BreakUp" the wall into its component pieces. OK, not great, but maybe I can work around that. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to schedule the "Base Offset" parameter so I can get an accurate calulation of the wall height to the roof.

Anybody out there doing COMCheck calculations with Revit generated data?

Thanks - hey, this might be my first post...

Wes

rberliner
2008-01-03, 10:17 PM
Here's another vote for getting Level and Height to get into Wall Schedules, precisely to figure out wall area for COSTS. Sure, Area is a parameter available but no one is going to be giving a discount on the sheathing and drywall by crediting us a 30" x 48" hole in the materials at each window. Try returning the hole scraps for credit, should be good for a laugh.

And speaking of *unnecessary* things that someone apparently thought would make a great addition to schedules, what are Top Vertical Projection, Bottom Vertical Projection and Horizontal Projection? Apparently, these parameters can be put into a schedule yet serve no purpose as they do not possess a value AND they can't be given a value; but they can just sit in your schedule doing apparently nothing... and perhaps they can help you waste time trying to figure out if they could possible be used to compute height. Useful.

ACE001
2008-01-22, 02:30 PM
Having the Level is important for multi-story projects.
Filtering and grouping walls by level is essential for extracting necessary data.
I recall it was included in version 7 or 8, and I wish they would bring it back.

ACE001
2008-01-22, 03:50 PM
Of course you could always add a project parameter for walls called "Level Name"
then filter-select all the walls per level, and assign the level in the wall properties.
You'll be able to filter and group this way, but it's ideal because once you add a new wall, you'll have to set that parameter for the new wall, otherwise it won't show up if it's filtered by level.

scowsert
2008-01-23, 04:03 PM
I'd like to be able to tell the concrete company how many yards of concrete we'd need today for our parking structure. The walls are poured level by level. The next day they will pour the slab and beams.

Setup like Revit is now I can't do it easily. I have to go the project parameter route.

Max Lloyd
2008-02-18, 05:39 PM
I'd like to add my voice to this thread.

I am very surprised we can not schedule wall height. The issue of the 'level' of the wall I can see as being an issue, but the height is the height.....whats so complicated about that?

If the elevational profile has been edited such that the top or bottom of the wall is no longer horizontal, it simply would not appear in the schedule.

As for reasons why we want it.......well, why wouldn't you want to know the height of a wall????:screwy:

Regards,

Max

Calvn_Swing
2008-02-18, 10:04 PM
I've come across this twice now. We've got a building requirement that the Exterior walls must be at least 50% brick or stone (no idea why, but that's what the city wants). In another case it was a Parking Ramp where they needed to know % of open space vs % of wall.
I can schedule the actual area of Brick by wall type, but I can't get the Gross Area of the wall anywhere.

I'm assuming this is because you can do all sorts of nifty tricks like Wall Sweeps, Edit Profile and such, but it would be nice to figure out the Area of a wall before you cut stuff out of it.

You can do most of this with ODBC. Export, and play with your data there.

Now, as for specifics...

Revit has hidden parameters like areaofopenings that you can't access inside Revit. Also, the unconnected height is also inside Revit but not schedulable. If you take the area of the wall and add the area of openings, you get the gross area. Be careful though. When you attach the top of a wall to anything, or edit it's profile in any way, the parameter called unconnected height is basically irrelevant. Also, if you edit the profile this does not an opening make - as yoda would say. You won't get proper gross area with profile edited walls.

This is why Revit won't let us schedule the "height" of the wall because there is no foolproof "height." Area, which is foolproof, can be scheduled. Why they won't let us schedule the opening area is beyond me thought since that's pretty foolproof as well (except of course for the profile thing...). I may have just answered my own question... Point being, Autodesk hasn't allowed us to schedule things that aren't reliable indicators of objects. How tall is a wall with a sloped top? How tall is a wall attached to a roof deck? How tall is a wall with a curved top? Or how tall is the wall on the front of the Alamo? (I'd include a picture for non-Texans but I'm lazy - Google it.).

For those who want to schedule things like area of concrete (or other materials) by level - clever workaround: Do a multi-category material takeoff. You can add a level parameter in these schedules and it will work as long as you modeled things right. Sort by Level then by material name.. Then you just need to filter for a certain material.

Jos Arpink
2008-03-13, 09:18 PM
You can add me to the list of those who want (need) to schedule base and top constraints for walls. Revit Structure here.

dgi
2008-04-17, 09:01 AM
Add me to the list as well!

I want the same sort of schedule abilities with walls as I do with columns!

tomislav.zigo
2008-05-20, 11:41 PM
Not quite so!

The height property can be quite useful in the truly parametric environment. Why? First of all, the building as a product has somewhat idiosyncratic nature, where we all strive to express ourselves according to our client's program and our design sensibility and having exposed properties can only be beneficial to any designer . Second, it should be up to users to determine how and why a certain property should be used. For example if all of my partitions are supposed to have a certain height, I would like to be able to verify that in the wall schedule by pairing up the type and the height. This is just one of the examples why to expose the geometric properties of Revit objects. One could also argue that the true parametric engine should be able to define the relationship in between object at the macro level by assigning the set of user defined variables that will govern these relationships.

Anyway we are all entitled to our opinion but after almost 20 years of waiting for a true parametric solution in the AEC market, Revit's capability is a far cry from what some other BIM compliant apps can do.

TZ
http://bimology.blogspot.com

idorion
2008-05-22, 03:04 PM
I worked around this problem with the rooms and area schedule in 2009, if your room is placed on your levels, it will give you the level, the base offset, the upper level, upper offset and the unconnected height of your room so this method should be good even for someone who use 1 wall that is 3 stories high or more...

mitch.cornelius
2008-07-21, 03:50 PM
I am with the many others that would like to be able to schedule associated level of walls. If I'm doing quantity takeoff from the model, I would like to know which level of the building the quantities are associated with. There are times our estimates need to be sorted by level...I don't want to have to create a shared parameter to do this!

jspartz
2008-07-24, 02:57 PM
You should be able to schedule out whatever parameters the object holds in it's properties. Why restrict any, because the information COULD be wrong? We could at least work with it if it didn't restrict the access of the information. For example, make a custom parameter and check the ones that have custom profiles, to filter them.

Instead you have to export as ODBC, which reports out in metric, which is no good for people using imperial

The Sweg
2008-08-26, 01:40 PM
I put my vote in for the ability to schedule wall heights. In most cases where I would edit the profile of a wall and thus render the 'unconnected height' parameter useless, I still have the wall attached to levels. Usually, I modify a wall's profile just for elevation purposes, and that area is really built with a truss, as in a gable end wall. By attaching the wall to the roof, it just makes the elevations easier to clean up and I can schedule my siding materials, but that's not really my wall height. Give me the ability to schedule wall heights and I'll come up with the necessary work-arounds if it isn't perfect. Heck, that's what I've done with all my other schedules anyways. :)

cbaze
2009-05-21, 11:10 AM
To work around this, why can't they add a height parameter that ONLY works when the wall is unconnected and the profile is unedited? The height could read 'edited' or 'connected' when the unconnected height is not equal to the true height. Revit must already have some way of detecting this... we get those "best way to edit wall" messages when you pull the profile away from the wall boundary.

MartinL
2009-09-03, 11:19 AM
I have pulled my hair several times over the problem with wall heights. I think that the height of the wall should be able to show up in schedules whether its connected or unconnected because I believe it should be possible to show the distance between the levels.

I think it's bad that Revit do all the thinking for us. In many cases it's good that Revit doesnt allow some things but as someone mentioned, it should be up to us to choose which things we want to include and not.

sbrown
2009-09-03, 05:20 PM
Please remember to file actual support requests. Your votes will not get counted here. They need to be submitted formally.

Send actual examples of how you need walls to schedule and why to autodesk. This forum is great for finding out how to do things that are possible, but its not the right place to post wishlist items if you want to be sure you are being heard.