PDA

View Full Version : Floor finishes

bgauthier
2007-04-16, 05:55 PM
How come, sometimes, you can see the floor finishes through the cabinets and furniture. What is the setting I'm missing?. Thanks

ron.sanpedro
2007-04-16, 06:00 PM
How come, sometimes, you can see the floor finishes through the cabinets and furniture. What is the setting I'm missing?. Thanks

If the cabinets and furniture are made as light weight 2D only families, this will happen. RAC 2008 now has the Masking Region, which will help address the issue. If the families are true 3D solid forms, then I would not expect to see finish, but perhaps there is another problem.

Best,
Gordon

Justin Marchiel
2007-04-16, 06:05 PM
it could also be that the family that you inserted is 3d. In the family editor you can turn components on and off depending on the view (look at a door family for example). you would then need to "draw" some 2d linework to give the idea of what it looks like in that view (ie plan). Since the 3d view is "off" and only the lines remain, you see the floor finish thru. if you are still in 9.1 (or lower) you can add a detail component that contains a filled region to your family that would stop the flooring from showing thru.

This is a great way to simplify your families so that your comp doesn't need to calculate 3d geometry in a 2d plan.

I am interrested to see what the masking region will do.

Justin

bgauthier
2007-04-16, 06:39 PM
I understand what you're saying but sometimes it is a little bit complicated to create a filled region. Is there something in the family I can look at to change the set up or is there a bring to front option?

Justin Marchiel
2007-04-16, 06:52 PM
maybe the masked region in 2008 is the answer, but if you cant wait until 2008, then sorry. The issue is that you are turning off a solid 3d element and replacing it with lines only. since there is nothing but lines to cover it up, the finish will show thru.

How are you modeling your floor finishes? Do you have a seperate floor that you place onto of your structural floor? if so you could just cut it back. you could also split the surface and "paint" the material under the cabinets so that it shows "nothing".

To me it comes down to how important the family is. Will it be a 1 time thing shown 1 time in the model? If so, keep the 3d portion on. If you will reuse this 100 times in the drawings, and in other projects, it is worth making a really solid family.

Justin