PDA

View Full Version : Sections - Which one to use ?

mdorfman4
2007-04-17, 03:24 AM
Hi !

I am new Revit user, just go into Revit and must say it is - Exciting, on top of that there are so much material available on the net, learning new software was never easier, thanks to both AUGI and Autodesk for providing tons of free stuff.

Right now reading revit's user guide and trying to make sense of Sections. Guide mentions 3 type of sections: building, wall and detail.

Type selection had the following choices:
Detail View : Detail View 1 (obviously this is Detailing section)
Section: 1/2" Head
Section: Filled Arrow

Last two choices are both sections, but which one is building and which one is wall section type.

What is the difference between section types ? And what type should I use to detail wall ? So far I have figured that Detailing section will give me Detail View in Project Browser.

Thank you !

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-04-17, 04:04 AM
Welcome to the Revit club and the forums.

The default templates generally have three section types to choose from. Detail, Building and Wall. Your template may have been modified.
In general there is not much difference between the three and they are set up to provide flexibility in browser organization and a different appearance for head and tail. (Building sections are solid filled head and wall sections are open head by default)
The one difference is that a Detail Section can be placed horizontally in an elevation or section view where building and wall sections can only be placed in a plan oriented view or vertically in a section/elevation view.

mdorfman4
2007-04-17, 04:51 AM
That makes sense now ... I was doing something wrong. Now I have same Section heads as you have on your image ! Clarification on difference between section was also helpful, couldn't find this in user guide :(

Thanks a lot !

Martin P
2007-04-17, 10:35 AM
I didnt know any of that either to be honest!!......

rjcrowther
2007-04-17, 11:50 AM
Likewise.

Rob