PDA

View Full Version : Method of Roof Creation

rjcrowther
2007-04-17, 10:10 AM
Could anyone please give some input on how you would go about making this roof?

It is a bullnose verandah with a constant gutter height (when I get around to putting it on). It has a varying width so it rides along the wall at differing heights.

The illustration shows an in place family that is a sweep. The problem here is I can't get the widest part to hit the wall because if I make the sweep profile wide enough to do this part it becomes to wide to form the smallest part of the roof (ie. it sweeps over itself as it turns the corner and displays a cannot do warning).

I can't use a simple footprint roof because of the bullnose part (........ just thought I can try the bullnose as the fascia to a footprint roof)

Roof by extrusion is a nuisance as the roof faces are too difficult to line up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

PS The building is a 1910's pub (place to drink beer) and this is the early part of some measured drawings

blads
2007-04-17, 01:20 PM
G'day Rob,

just a thought why not try a simple footprint roof (excluding the bullnose) first and then add a sweep bullnose profile to the straight footprint roof

HTH

Mike Sealander
2007-04-17, 01:29 PM
I'm finding more and more that where it might look like something is one thing and can be modeled as one thing, it's actually two or three things, and needs to be modeled as two or three things. For instance, handrails that are next to guardrails may seems part of the guardrail, but modeling a handrail extension is difficult if the handrail is made part of the guardrail.
The last post's suggestion to parse the roof into two pieces is an example of this kind of thinking (I think!).

blads
2007-04-17, 01:31 PM
I'm finding more and more that where it might look like something is one thing and can be modeled as one thing, it's actually two or three things, and needs to be modeled as two or three things. For instance, handrails that are next to guardrails may seems part of the guardrail, but modeling a handrail extension is difficult if the handrail is made part of the guardrail.
The last post's suggestion to parse the roof into two pieces is an example of this kind of thinking (I think!).quite right, although I didn't write it as eloquently as you :)

:Oops: can't spell either, it seems, thanks Brad

bowlingbrad
2007-04-17, 02:04 PM
Hey Blads,

it's eloquently

;) heehee

rjcrowther
2007-04-17, 09:31 PM
G'day Rob,

just a thought why not try a simple footprint roof (excluding the bullnose) first and then add a sweep bullnose profile to the straight footprint roof

HTH
Thanks Bill. Will give it a go.

Rob

rjcrowther
2007-04-17, 10:32 PM
This is the roof using a footprint roof and sweep for the bullnosing. Certainly a lot easier than mucking around with in place family swept profiles.

Thanks,
Rob

fernando
2007-04-17, 11:22 PM
"the easier way is the simple way",
since i use Revit, in 2002, I have been used to ear and think that...
another one, "model it as you will build it"

gordolake
2007-04-18, 01:24 AM
Hi Rob,

Try roof by extrusion, with the extrusion profile drawn for the widest part and path as the gutter line, then use void extrusion to cut the parts that project through the wall.

Using roof extrusion makes the changes in roof direction easy.

Example shows cut void used to indicate laser light in bull nose verandah.

Steve