PDA

View Full Version : annotations disappear when workset off

Michelle Gibson
2007-04-18, 05:55 PM
I was working on some last minute changes to some rooms and noticed that I had the wrong workset open. I changed any items that were on the wrong workset (Owner) and put them on the correct workset (partitions). Unfortunately, when I then turn off that particular workset (owner) so that I don't have furniture layouts on my working drawings, it ends up there are more items that are somehow on the "Owner" workset that should not be. When I isolated the "Owner" category I discovered that there are a whole bunch of things that are showing up on that category, including some of my Room Names, Call outs, which I consider to be annotations. I can't pull up their properties and switch them to another workset.

How do I fix this so that the Owner furniture does not show, but all my callouts and room names etc... show? I am hoping I don't have to go to each individual piece of furniture and say "hide".

aaronrumple
2007-04-18, 06:02 PM
I was working on some last minute changes to some rooms and noticed that I had the wrong workset open. I changed any items that were on the wrong workset (Owner) and put them on the correct workset (partitions). Unfortunately, when I then turn off that particular workset (owner) so that I don't have furniture layouts on my working drawings, it ends up there are more items that are somehow on the "Owner" workset that should not be. When I isolated the "Owner" category I discovered that there are a whole bunch of things that are showing up on that category, including some of my Room Names, Call outs, which I consider to be annotations. I can't pull up their properties and switch them to another workset.

How do I fix this so that the Owner furniture does not show, but all my callouts and room names etc... show? I am hoping I don't have to go to each individual piece of furniture and say "hide".
Rooms belong to worksets. If the room object is hidden - the associated room tag will be hidden. You need to move the room object to a workset that remains on in all desired views.

Annotations don't belong to worksets as they are view specific and tied to the object they are tagging.

Michelle Gibson
2007-04-18, 06:18 PM
Thanks Aaron

that fixed all the room tags, but I still have some questions. When I use the VG command and isolate the Owner Equipment workset, I still get a lot of annotations showing up on the screen, including all my interior elevation tags, room separation lines, drafting lines, building section markers, some dimensions and some text.

Alternately, when I select one of the known objects that I created on the Owner Equipment workset and then isolate that category, I only see the furniture, not all the other annotations that still appear when I use the VG command to turn everything else off.

I obviously need all these annotations, so how do I get the furniture only to turn off. I am thinking of cheating and creating a new workset called Furniture and converting all the owner equipment I created on to that workset and turning it off, leaving the original Owner Equipment workset open on the screen so that I don't lose all the annotations.

stumped...

aaronrumple
2007-04-18, 06:40 PM
Thanks Aaron

that fixed all the room tags, but I still have some questions. When I use the VG command and isolate the Owner Equipment workset, I still get a lot of annotations showing up on the screen, including all my interior elevation tags, room separation lines, drafting lines, building section markers, some dimensions and some text.

All of those things are view specific. Imagine a model behind a glass sheet. Most of these object are on top of the glass sheet. They are not part of any workset. Worksets are for model objects only.

If you are seeing room separation lines, which are model objects - they are in the wrong workset.

You can go to the annotations tab in VG to turn off any view specific notes.

Are you trying to create a unique view for just owner equipment? If so, make a new view with none of the annotation.

Alternately, when I select one of the known objects that I created on the Owner Equipment workset and then isolate that category, I only see the furniture, not all the other annotations that still appear when I use the VG command to turn everything else off.
The temporary hide/isolate tool works across both annotation objects and model objects.

I obviously need all these annotations, so how do I get the furniture only to turn off. I am thinking of cheating and creating a new workset called Furniture and converting all the owner equipment I created on to that workset and turning it off, leaving the original Owner Equipment workset open on the screen so that I don't lose all the annotations.

stumped...
Do you want to turn off all furniture? If so use VG and turn of the furniture category. Don't use worksets for visibility.

Do you want to turn off only some of the furniture? Either:
Place all objects you want off in one workset. And turn that off.
Or add "Owner Equipment" to the comments field of the objects you want off and create a filter to turn off those objects. Of course you should read up on filters for this, but it is the preferred way of working.

Using worksets for visibility control of objects is being discouraged by Autodesk.

gordie_v
2007-04-18, 07:08 PM
Don't use worksets for visibility.

Do you want to turn off only some of the furniture? Either:
Place all objects you want off in one workset. And turn that off.
Or add "Owner Equipment" to the comments field of the objects you want off and create a filter to turn off those objects. Of course you should read up on filters for this, but it is the preferred way of working.

Using worksets for visibility control of objects is being discouraged by Autodesk.

Worksets currently offer the best way to control visibility for groups of objects
the operation of using filters seems like a workaround to me.
and with the new visibility controls you can control visibility be element but not group.

If Autodesk wants to eliminate worksets I think losing this functionality is a mistake. even if it was not intended functionality.
it is essential in our work flow. and currently any other work flow pattern would be very inefficient. this filter method is allot more work. It is powerful and we use them but along with worksets.

It's not like we use them for Layer like abilities
we use them to group major sections, Shell, Core, Units, Retail, Site