PDA

View Full Version : post and beam construction

sultarc
2007-04-19, 07:12 PM
I'm starting a new building than is to be timber post and beam with infill walls. I have inserted timber columns from the modeling menu. when I add the walls, the timbers get wrapped with the gyp. board instead if exposed timber. Is there a way to avoid this?

Also, would it be better to build the roof from timbers in the structural menu. or make a wall type for the timbers?

Calvn_Swing
2007-04-19, 07:20 PM
Personally, I'd make a second file and build your timber structure in it. Then, I'd link it into your modeling file and build around it. It won't join to your walls automatically anymore either.

Adam Mac
2007-04-20, 12:04 AM
Hi sultarc -

are you using "architectural" columns as opposed to "structural" columns? I know this makes a difference when using concrete columns, i.e. the concrete architectural columns will wrap/merge with the wall, while the structural columns remain independent.
I'm not sure if this is 100% correct, but worth a try?

Adam

SkiSouth
2007-04-20, 12:19 AM
from another thread on a related matter per our Factory:

Most likely some of the columns got joined to walls automatically and used graphics from those walls.

To prevent automatic joining use parameter in the family ("Settings", "Family Category and Parameters", "Automatically joins geometry to walls"), uncheck it.

You can change family category to "Structural Columns" right there in "Family Category" selector, this would switch all instances of the family when you reload family into project.

sultarc
2007-04-20, 02:24 AM
I'm not seeing a "family category" under the settings menu.

sultarc
2007-04-20, 02:25 AM
And, what about my second question about whether to use a wall or a wood beam?

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-20, 03:18 AM
Id build all the timber framing out of structural framing elements. In the FAMILY, go to Settings > Family Catagories and Parameters, you can turn off the auto join.

I second the "build the framing in a seperate linked Model" however. We have done this on various projects, and it works very well.

tc3dcad60731
2007-04-20, 05:06 PM
I agree with the two model deal. Also use the structural columns to design the timber structure!

sultarc
2007-04-20, 09:23 PM
When i'm in structural mode all I seem to be able to access is the steel shapes. I can see the wood but they never become selectable.

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-20, 09:26 PM
Sultarc-

Are you sure you have the Wood STRCUTURAL columns loaded? There is a Timber post in both the Architectural Columns and in the Structural Columns. If they are made as architectural columns, they will not show up in the structural column tools drop down...

tomnewsom
2007-04-23, 09:04 AM
I'm not seeing a "family category" under the settings menu.
You have to Edit the columhn family in the Family Editor to get that option, Then reload the family back into your project.

harkeychad
2007-04-23, 11:10 AM
The first question... You can hit the unjoin icon and the walls will not wrap. I would make your timberframe in a file alone and bring it in. Here is an example that I have