PDA

View Full Version : What is the easiest way to get 2d ortho views from 3d drawings

dwalker864
2007-04-19, 10:47 PM
What is the easiest way to get 2d ortho views from 3d drawings so we can add centerlines,hidden lines, dimensioning, etc. without having to redraw the 3d drawing?
Thanks,
Doug

Mike.Perry
2007-04-20, 06:13 AM
Hi

Have you looked at using the _.FlatShot command?

Have a good one, Mike

jgrande26
2007-04-20, 05:54 PM
I've used Flatshot, and the problem I have with it is the resultant block is in no way linked to the model. If your geometry changes, you have to redo the flatshot, or make separate edits to model and the block. Also it forces everything to the current layer. It's a pain to explode the block and fix all the layers. If anyone knows of a better way, I'd love to hear it.

Arben.Allaraj
2007-04-20, 05:59 PM
What is the easiest way to get 2d ortho views from 3d drawings so we can add centerlines,hidden lines, dimensioning, etc. without having to redraw the 3d drawing?
Thanks,
Doug

For your question there is only an good advise:Using Autodesk Inventor?!!

Maybe only my think.

CStigler
2007-04-20, 07:12 PM
I've used Flatshot, and the problem I have with it is the resultant block is in no way linked to the model. If your geometry changes, you have to redo the flatshot, or make separate edits to model and the block. Also it forces everything to the current layer. It's a pain to explode the block and fix all the layers. If anyone knows of a better way, I'd love to hear it.

Flatshot is the least powerful but it is the easiest.

Solprof is less convenient, but a bit more powerful. AutoSolids' "QuickDraw" function automates solprof, makes it super easy. But, the 2D geometry is still separate from the 3D, same as flatshot.

Solview/SolDraw will get you 2D views that are tied to the 3D solid. More complex to set up but it's the most powerful.

CS

jaberwok
2007-04-20, 07:43 PM
Why create 2d geometry at all?
Simple views will always show the outside of the model and DView\CLip will give sections - and all of them update when the model changes.
Of course, this choice might depend on the complexity of the model.

jgrande26
2007-04-20, 08:16 PM
Why create 2d geometry at all?
Simple views will always show the outside of the model and DView\CLip will give sections - and all of them update when the model changes.
Of course, this choice might depend on the complexity of the model.
I've needed the 2D geometry because the solids I use to represent steel I-beams and angles, etc. show facets along the filleted edges which appear as extra lines when viewed in wireframe mode. The fabricators find this confusing so I took a flatshot and erased all the extra lines.
I've found dimensioning simple views to be a little tricky. I use OSnaps but it often appears as though the snap is a little off, especially when dimensioning holes.
I've only used 3D models on a small handful of projects. I guess I'm still most comfortable with 2D.

dzatto
2007-04-20, 08:47 PM
Why not just generate a 2D elevation from the 3D model? That's how I do my elevations. You can then edit the line work, hatch, whatever. And you can dimension them. It's under the documents pulldown, sections and elevations. Plus, when the model changes, just right click the elevation and regenerate to update it.

jaberwok
2007-04-21, 08:51 AM
Why not just generate a 2D elevation from the 3D model? That's how I do my elevations. You can then edit the line work, hatch, whatever. And you can dimension them. It's under the documents pulldown, sections and elevations. Plus, when the model changes, just right click the elevation and regenerate to update it.

Is that in ADT? It's not in vanilla. :-(

dzatto
2007-04-22, 02:55 AM
Is that in ADT? It's not in vanilla. :-(Hmm, I guess it is an ADT/ACA thing. Sorry, I just assumed it was in vanilla cad as well.

dwalker864
2007-05-01, 02:13 AM
Hi Mike,
I used the flatshot command and it works pretty good. One of the things I found was that the object lines were real light, unlike the originals in the drawing.
John,
It seams like a difficult process going the solview-soldraw route. I would like to see a tutorial doing this.
Regards,
Doug

jaberwok
2007-05-01, 12:58 PM
Hi Mike,
I used the flatshot command and it works pretty good. One of the things I found was that the object lines were real light, unlike the originals in the drawing.
John,
It seams like a difficult process going the solview-soldraw route. I would like to see a tutorial doing this.
Regards,
Doug

I don't do the solview/solprof/soldraw thing because it's fiddly and, like flatshot, the results do not update automatically when the model changes. DView/CLip does.

fhoffnar
2007-05-02, 02:42 PM
This is the biggest weakness of AutoCAD 2007 in my opinion. I personally use SOLPROF because of the layer limitations of FLATSHOT and the view limitations and bugs with the 3D Visual Styles displaying in paperspace. But honestly use whatever gets you the layout you want.

In a perfect world I'd like to see the 3d visual styles work in paperspace properly, but retain the ability to take a 2D snap shot of it, explode it, and detail it or send it to CNC.

jaberwok
2007-05-04, 01:33 PM
Have you tried WMFout and WMFin?
It's not great but may be good enough.
If it looks at all useable also take a look at BetterWMF (http://www.furix.com).