PDA

View Full Version : Area Names for Rooms

cdchristian
2007-04-20, 05:46 PM
Is there a way to designate a parameter within a room which would automatically identify which area the room falls? For instance, if you designated a portion of your plan as "Support," any room located in that area would be designated in a specific parameter as, "Support" and could be scheduled accordingly.

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-20, 05:47 PM
I dont believe so. Ive been hoping for Rooms to be Area aware for some time, and for areas to be room aware... There are a ton of possibilities there...

cdchristian
2007-04-20, 05:56 PM
I guess it is a wish list item then...

comhasse
2007-04-20, 07:14 PM
This might be difficult to do, as a room may overlap two different areas at the same time, for example. I usually assign an "area type" parameter to my rooms and set it manually.

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-20, 08:19 PM
This might be difficult to do, as a room may overlap two different areas at the same time, for example. I usually assign an "area type" parameter to my rooms and set it manually.

Rooms have "origins," where the crosshairs line up in the center. In my experience, wherever that lies is the defining characterist of where the room is. It would be pretty simple (in my limited knowledge) to track where that point is.

Second, i amend my previous desire: I think ALL THINGS in Revit should be Room, and Area aware. And i think Rooms and Areas should be aware of each other. Revit is such an amazing information tracket, these things being done would add a TON to the equation.

I could see Rooms and areas interacting to track hot spots in retail, depending on what "Ground zero" objects seem to statistically increase or decrease sales potential. Radiused "areas", and the rooms inside them report the area of proximity then are in. Based on that Area, If statements in Room schedules could calculate sales effects, potential ROI for stores paying more for premium locations, sound inconveniences if they are near an "area" of high noise pollution, etc.

You could go on and on. Im going to have to wish list it! LOL...

comhasse
2007-04-23, 12:13 PM
Rooms have "origins," where the crosshairs line up in the center. In my experience, wherever that lies is the defining characterist of where the room is. It would be pretty simple (in my limited knowledge) to track where that point is.

That makes sense, even though it might be confusing if the total area of rooms pertaining to an area is different from the area itself. But then, your suggested use of areas is something that could be called "zones", rather than just a tool for geometric area takeoff.

I've suggested before that it would be useful to be able to group rooms into a taggable and schedulable unit, so i could tag apartments etc. I guess your suggestion might actually be a suitable approach to that problem as well (except alas i can only display and therefore tag areas in area plans).

twiceroadsfool
2007-04-23, 12:26 PM
I agree 100% with your assessment. Thats what i differentiate Rooms and Areas for now. Rooms, i use for my finish schedules and such. So a Tenants Restoom and a Tenants Space are separate rooms. But for Egress requirements, I need to consider the total area for both, which means i have a few options:

Making the restroom walls non-bounding, which either: Generates warnings if i try to place a room, that its not enclosed. Or it means i have to fake a schedule. Neither appeal to me.

Using an area plan for Egress, which is what i do. Its just something that if it doesnt get planned in advance, someone will generate a Floor Plan instead of an area plan, and will start setting it up...