PDA

View Full Version : 'Cut Plan Profile' with variable thickness

jeff.95551
2007-04-22, 09:05 PM
Cut Plan Profile doesn't seem to work on roof slabs with variable thickness. We've got a roof deck that I was trying to model, but unfortunately the form has a curve in it, and the variable thickness tool won't work with any kind of curve. I was hoping to work around it by creating a roof by extrusion, then adding cut plan profiles to add in the curve, but it appears that the cut plan profile just doesn't work - the button is available, but when you press it, the command cancels, the roof is deselected and you go back to 'modify.' We're three weeks away from going into the city with this project, and we're really hesitant about upgrading this close. If the variable thickness slabs won't work for us, we're probably better off just waiting on this one... I understand that the challenges with modeling slopes along curves, but the cut plan profile is a really elegant way around that, since they don't have to model the curve - just subtract the geometry.

muttlieb
2007-04-22, 09:21 PM
If you need to subtract geometry that has a curve in it, you can use the Opening > Vertical Opening tool. Will that get you what you're after?

jeff.95551
2007-04-22, 09:39 PM
Yep - just figured that out. With curves, too. The only thing you have to be careful of is that you can't have an elevation 'point' inside an opening. It'll tell you it can't make the opening and try to delete it. I think the cut plan profile thing must be a bug, since it thinks you can do it, and it isn't really any different than an opening...

Thanks

muttlieb
2007-04-23, 01:01 AM
The only thing you have to be careful of is that you can't have an elevation 'point' inside an opening.
I haven't had any problems with elevation points inside the opening sketch. Did you make sure your opening sketch was a closed loop?

dbaldacchino
2007-04-23, 01:02 AM
As currently implemented, the new roof tool doesn't work with curves. Another way to cut this roof with a curve is to do an in-place void of the roof category.