PDA

View Full Version : Wall family question

jbeaman
2007-04-23, 06:53 PM
Can you only create wall families in a project file? I don't see a wall family template file anywhere.

Thanks

Paul P.
2007-04-23, 06:58 PM
Take a look at the system family files in the library that comes with Revit, there is an example of a project file with just wall in it.

jbeaman
2007-04-23, 07:08 PM
Would you know the name of that file? I can't seem to find it in any of the standard libs.

Thanks

Paul P.
2007-04-23, 07:47 PM
In the metric library after the structural folder is the System Family files folder, in there is a revit file named GBRENU_Walls.rvt.

Hope that helps, if not let me know and I'll try and send it to you.

jbeaman
2007-04-23, 08:11 PM
OK, I found it. Thanks. I wonder why there isn't an Imperial one?

So still, wall styles are project file dependent, not an actual family file....right?

patricks
2007-04-23, 08:42 PM
correct, they are system families, not component families.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-04-23, 08:43 PM
That's right. Walls, roofs, floors, stairs are 'system' families and as such can't be created outside a project file.
BTW, I couldn't find the file that Paul mentioned. What does it contain?

jbeaman
2007-04-23, 08:51 PM
It just has a bunch of metric walls in it.

Paul P.
2007-04-23, 10:54 PM
Hi Dimitri, if you go to the web library have a look under the U.K. content then you will see the system family file's that come with the U.K library, here's a link http://revit.autodesk.com/library/html/index.html.

As jbeamman said it's just a bunch of wall's, jbeamman is that the sort of thing you were after.

Teresa.Martin
2007-04-23, 11:28 PM
Take a look at the system family files in the library that comes with Revit, there is an example of a project file with just wall in it.

Wall families are system families and need to live within a Project (RVT) file. What I suggest is making a 'Container' project/RVT file to store your standard office system families. These 'Container' Projects are much like an Autocad drawing that contains a bunch of block symbols. They are a holding tank of sorts for content. I recommend this approach. That way anyone in the office knows that the approved, standard office content is in the source file.

By the way, I would purge any extraneous things out of this project file and re-set the stacked wall type to have your walls in it as well rather then leave it as the default.

I hope this help!
Have a great day!

ws
2007-04-26, 02:14 PM
Having just come back from my 3 days Revit 'brain training'...

(and yes, despite that I still want to use Revit... ;) )

the key bit of information is that you have to use 'Transfer Project Standards' to bring in those walls to be available as Types in your current project, after you have opened the project with the walls or other System Families.

Also it matters which project is current when you use 'Transfer Project Standards' - it has to be the project receiving the walls, otherwise it will all seem to work but no new walls will appear in your project.

Baffled me completely that until it was explained.

Obviously Autodesk supply Imperial walls for the US market and Metric walls for most other parts of the World - but I guess you could use either anyway.