PDA

View Full Version : Voids and radii?

SkiSouth
2007-04-24, 05:13 PM
I have a fence manufacturer client, who asked me to document a patented connection feature, so I thought I'd use Revit to draft out a quick 3d illustration - wrong. It appears that a void will not cut through a small radii. Thought it would. This is a 14 ga 1" tube section (so radiused exterior corners), that I need to slot, so build the tube, cut the bottom off - but only 1/2 the length - makes a slot to slip over the connector that fits inside the 1" tube section. If the tube is radiused on bottom (as it should be ) the void to cut will delete the 1" tube section - If straight bottom - void will cut..

Somewhat confusing. First image - this is what works
Second Image - Void to cut proper tube
Third Image - Resulting error.

Question for factory: Is this an error because of the smaller radius, or just a void cutting a radius?

Yes - I know the work around - draw an extrusion and join geometry to get the shape, but that's defeating the purpose of having a tool to do this, and not being able to use it....

dbaldacchino
2007-04-24, 06:41 PM
Ski, I had similar issues and I thought I was doing something wrong, but I wasn't. I also encountered the same error messages when trying to cut sloped roofs and the void edge lay exactly on a valley or some point on the roof where multiple vertices intersected. Just a thought.....could you build the first part with the notch from a profile that has that shape and the rest from the complete tube profile, then join geometry?

Elmo
2007-04-25, 02:19 PM
I believe it is a common thing actually. I've always had problems with revit when it comes to "small" details. Basically the smaller the circle gets the worse revit reacts to it. By the way have you tried making it a solid first and then converting it to a void. Once that is done tell it to cut the other solid. I've had some problems like this where I did this process and it worked.

SkiSouth
2007-04-26, 06:45 PM
update. Filed this as a support request, and was shown that this issue is solved in RA8. I did produce this family in 9.1 not RA8.

dbaldacchino
2007-04-27, 03:15 PM
Cool! Haven't tested that particular issue on 2008 yet.

Elmo
2007-04-30, 11:56 AM
That's great news! Thanks for the update Skisouth.