PDA

View Full Version : Revision numbering

charliep
2007-04-25, 01:00 PM
Is there a way to change the revision sequence from numeric to alpha?

Andrew Dobson
2007-04-25, 01:58 PM
Nope - common request though, like being able to have the revision letter shown next to the drawing number in the titleblock

dhurtubise
2007-04-25, 02:04 PM
Filled it the Widhlist forum and with support

frame
2007-04-25, 02:54 PM
Hello,

Frame from the factory. I have been collecting samples of revision formats from all over the planet, as we develop designs and requirements. If you have some sample sheets to add to the mix, it would be great. PDF's showing how you track revisions and milestones would be excellent.

thanks

frame
Revit Prodcut Design
frame@autodesk.com

charliep
2007-04-27, 07:13 AM
Just out of interest, is using numbers for revisions an American protocol? I've spoken to some colleagues and they only are familiar with the use of letters. BTW Frame, very simple method of A,B,C............ instead of 1,2,3....... would be most welcome, thanks. perhaps a patch, add on or whatever rather than a full blown update. And while I'm speaking to the factory, how about backwards compatibility --- oops getting on my soapbox now,

ws
2007-04-27, 07:50 AM
We discussed the whole business of revision marking a couple of days ago during my Revit training - I had wondered about the default A1 sheet showing lots of lines, like an old manual drawing sheet. (The trainer said that he just filled the revision letters in manually).

The available parameters to appear in labels on the title panel are not bad in that you can have date stamps for various activities, however you would only want to have a revision letter added once the drawing was issued as a revision - and then not updated until officially revised again - which implies some user input.

Which brings me to a related question - how do you keep track of issued drawings and changed drawings in Revit? As the drawing sheet will be updated with every change made to the model. Printing to pdf suggests itself to have a fixed copy, but I wondered what more experienced users did - I can't see any official guidance in the documentation.

While it has always been UK practice to have letters I don't think it matters how revisions are marked - except that they are... and in as large a font as possible so that contractors might actually pay attention :roll: ;)

charliep
2007-04-27, 08:17 AM
Being just a one man operation I tend to be rather flexible (and maybe lazy) in my documentation. I was thinking more of the revision tags than the keeping track of the various revisions. My drawings are usually issued to planning & building control as pdf's through the Planning Portal and Submit-a-Plan website, with just the construction drawings issued as hard copies. I do an automatic backup every day and to save space on my hard drive I do a search for *.*.rvt & *.*.rfa files which lets me delete these before the backup. I work very hard at being lazy. So the actual tracking of revisions is not really a problem for me, however, as I do contract work for other architects, I need to be able to adapt to their system, hence being able to use alphabetic revision tags rather than numeric. Incidently, is there not the ability to lock a revised drawing so that it can't be worked on after it's issued?

ws
2007-04-27, 08:30 AM
Incidently, is there not the ability to lock a revised drawing so that it can't be worked on after it's issued?

thanks Charlie, I'll look that up.

I'm also very disorganised in keeping track of revisions which is what was bothering me - clients often want to go back to an earlier scheme, so maybe backing up a project file at a key stage would be useful.

PDFs are usually reliable. Amazing that most people don't seem to lock their pdfs - you can usually open them in such as Illustrator.

ws
2007-04-27, 04:39 PM
came across this reactivated old thread in the Discussions forum on the subject of revisions featuring Mr Aubin and Mr Raiz - quite informative
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=505400

march
2007-07-25, 11:14 PM
Hello revision numbering crusaders; I'm having trouble too. This is the quote I receive when I try to use a revision cloud, "The most current project revision has been issued. No new revision clouds can be created in it. Please add a new revision to the global revision table."

Also do I need to keep all the revisions in the title block settings? I can't get the scheduled revisions to appear in my sheets at all.

Can some tell me why? Thx.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-07-26, 12:38 AM
Once a revision has been 'issued' it can't be changed. Simply go to Settings/Revisions and uncheck the Issued box in the revisions dialogue.

Revision listings are schedules that must be added to your title block family. Open your title block family and under the View/New you should only see Revision Schedule as an option. Create the schedule and then place it on your sheet where you want to see it.

Alex Page
2007-12-19, 09:28 PM
err...how do I place it on the sheet and line up with other lables when there are no revisions......so therefore schedule is blank

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-12-20, 08:26 AM
When you select the fields you want to include they will appear as headings. You place your schedule on your sheet view of the titleblock family.
You can set the width of the schedule like any other sched, using the grips at the column lines.

kbsheppard
2008-05-07, 07:44 PM
is there a way to tie the revision date of a sheet to a symbol label....ie: when a revision cloud is added to a sheet and the revision schedule is updated can i then make a symbol family (eng.stamp) with a label that reads the current revision date and keeps the stamp date sync'ed with the revision schedule??