PDA

View Full Version : Symbolic vs Model lines

paul.meco
2007-04-25, 04:30 PM
I have a question about family creation. I am trying to dive into it for the first time and I am noticing a new type of line is available to me called "symbolic lines." After some investigation into a couple of families that our firm had obtained from elsewhere, I am a bit confused about when to use symbolic lines as apposed to model lines. If someone has a good definition of these two different kinds of lines, and when/where to use each, that would be very helpful. Thanks

rodneyf
2007-04-25, 04:44 PM
Paul,

Model lines show throughout the whole model while symbolic lines show only on the plane in which you placed them. Take for an example a kitchen cabinet which in a 3d view or elevation is a 3d model with hardware and materials applied to but in plan view all you want to see is lines representing the cabinet extents only then this is where you would want to use symbolic lines. Hope that helps.

mabrey
2007-04-25, 04:54 PM
I have a question about family creation. I am trying to dive into it for the first time

It looks like your entering phase 4 of the "Six Phases of a Revit User"
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=31902&highlight=phases+revit+user
Tread carefully....:lol:

The main thing to remember about model lines vs. symbolic lines is that symbolic lines are 'view specific' while model lines show up in all views by default.

Jon

jcdecastro
2007-04-25, 05:12 PM
From my experience I would say I used
90% symbolic lines
10% model lines

In floor plans you may want to use model lines on something that you dont want to model but you want the lines to show up in the enlarged plans or views of that plan.

Be careful with using anything but symbolic lines in your families. Model lines will show up in side views (left/right) unless you tell them not to.